Day 1

"Some infinities are larger than other infinities." ~ The Fault In Our Stars

"No!" my mother yelled, tears streaming down her face. Her hands flew up to her mouth and my father tucked her underneath his arm as she sobbed uncontrollably. The fire that engulfed our house could be felt from where I was stood, heating up my face and making little droplets of sweat stick to my neck. I could faintly hear the crackle of the fire and the ambulance in the background. Everything seemed to repeat in my head. Mom's crying, firefighters shouting, police sirens, ambulance wailing, fire crackling. But I was numb. I was too shocked to understand or process what was going on. I suddenly felt dizzy, and the world seemed to be spinning too fast on it's axis. I felt my eyes roll into the back of my head, the concrete seeming to come closer and closer before everything went black.

~Ten Years Later~

The sound for a Twitter notification on my phone dinged as I continued the walk back to my house. I couldn't go very far and Mom insisted that I keep my phone on me at every waking moment, but still, even with her extreme case of suffocation, it was nice to get out of an even more suffocating situation. My house. I'd spent more hours there than I care to admit.

Eagerly, I looked down at my phone. I wasn't expecting a text or call from anyone, with the exception of my mom, but my eyes lit up with excitement.

Robert Peterson Howe, the author of some of my all time favorite novels was coming to San Antonio in two months. Two freaking months and I could meet him! I squealed before running the short distance back to my house.

"Mom! Dad!" I called out. I found them both in the kitchen, cooking dinner. They looked up at me in concern, stopping what they were doing immediately.

"What is it, sweetie? What's wrong?" my father asked. I ran up to my mom and hugged her, careful of the knife she currently had in her hand as I bounced us around.

"Dios mio, Bella!" she playfully scolded.

"Mom, I would say I'm sorry but I can't because I'm so freaking happy right now!"

"What happened? Go ahead and spill." my mom rolled her eyes and resumed chopping up tomatoes. Ooo it was Taco Tuesday, my favorite.

I took a deep breath before beginning.

"Okay well you know Robert Peterson Howe?" I began.

"No." my father said sarcastically, a silly grin plastered on his face. "You only quote at least two of his books every day and have dedicatedly mentioned him at at least every meal." I roll my eyes.

"Well, he's coming to San Antonio in two freaking months!" I said and jumped up and down.

"And this is supposed to mean..."

"He's doing a short tour for his newest book and I was well...maybe wondering if I could sorta kinda go maybe?" I squeezed one eye closed.

"And when is he coming here?" my mother asked.

"In two months." I answered.

"Annabelle, honey, I don't know." she said truthfuly. I felt my face drop.

"Why can't I go?" I managed to let out. I was on the verge of tears. This can't be happening.

"Well considering your...your condition honey I don't think it'd be best for you-"

"My condition?" I harshly whispered and glared at her. "Mom...I don't see why I can't go. The treatments have been working. I've been fine for the past week!" I protested.