Chapter 13

{Clary}
I walk to the room by myself with a satisfied smile on my face.
In our short lesson, I managed to get Simon to play a slightly bumpy version of the song I played for him, one I intended to perfect in our next meeting.
Tomorrow after lunch is the agreed time, and I find myself unreasonably excited to spend time with somebody outside Jace and Isabelle.

"Clary!"

I turn to see Magnus half jogging down the corridor to catch up with me.
He's dressed as flamboyant as always, wearing emerald green pants with a vest of what suspiciously reminds me of an alligator skin.
If alligator skin was that shiny.

He stops in front of me, so tall I have to crane my neck to properly look into his catlike eyes, lined in so much black liquid, there is more cosmetic than iris. "I- uh..." For once, Magnus seems at a loss for words. I wait patiently, already having a feeling about what this is about.

Magnus takes a deep breath, finally forcing the words out.
"I just wanted to make sure you wouldn't say anything about what you saw. Alec is terrified of anyone finding out he's gay, and it would crush him if his family-"

"Magnus!" I say loudly, holding my hands up to stop him from blabbering long enough so that I could speak.
He stops short, mouth still open.
I laugh softly at his expression, shaking my head a little.

"Alec already told me he'd prefer if I didn't speak about it, don't stress, Magnus. I wouldn't have said anything anyways." I say with a small smile.

Magnus lets out a breath, his entire body seeming to crumple in on itself. Looking closely at him, I notice the slight sadness set into his face, the stress to the set of his jaw.

"I'm guessing Alec not being open about this isn't too easy for you." I say quietly, gauging his reaction.
For the first time since I've met him, he's just quiet- barely nodding in affirmation.

"I understand it's hard for him, I really do. This kind of lifestyle is basically forbidden, his family would disown him. I... I love him." Magnus blurts out, stumbling on the words. My eyes widen, surprised by his declaration.
He looks surprised by it too.

"I love him. I do." He says slowly, testing out the words on his tongue.
I know Magnus is an old soul, but I still wonder if this was the first time he ever said those words.

"And I don't want to ask him to choose between me and being a respected shadowhunter, because I know he'll choose shadowhunter and I know that will kill me and hurt him. It's just hard, feeling like someone has to be ashamed of you." He says, voice so heartbreakingly quiet I have to bite down on my lip.

"Why are you telling me this?" I ask softly, hoping he doesn't take it the wrong way.
Magnus just stares at me bleakly, the ghost of a smile on his lips.

"Because you're different, my darling. You seem to know more than you realise, if that makes sense. Just look at Jace- he's different since you got here. He's more alive. I guess I was just hoping you can teach me whatever magic made this place more pleasant to be in." He says.

I nod absentmindedly, thoughts racing.  Had I really such an effect on this castle? On Jace?

Magnus continues,"Warlocks can sense auras,you know.And Clary- you have one of the brightest ones I've ever seen." He cocks his head, studying me.
"You're easy to talk to, did you know that? I think that's what compelled me to come talk to you." He walks backwards slowly, eyes still trained on me.

"You have a gift. A gift of humanity- it's not as common in shadowhunters as you think. Don't ever lose it." He calls, already near the end of the corridor.