Ch. 1 - Adrian

Adrian continued to hit his head against the desk. It was one of those moments where he had zero motivation to complete any of the work in front of him. The papers were still neatly stacked, and although he did want to help his dad with important pack—or rather community matters—Adrian still couldn't will himself to care.

"If you keep that up, you'll be brain-dead," his dad spoke offhandedly. "Also, I just got that desk."

"But, Dad—"

"You have to be patient, Adrian," he groaned. His dad already knew why his productivity sucked.

Fantastic.

"It'll take some time."

"Was it hard for you?"

"To find them?"

"Yeah."

"No." He shrugged. "Funny thing was, we were friends before I turned eighteen."

"Must be nice."

"Yeah, it was," his dad replied in a softer tone.

Adrian lolled his head to the side. He could feel a small migraine coming. It was so annoying that he couldn't ignore it, but it wasn't bad enough for him to stop everything in his tracks.

Was this the result of him not finding his soul mate? Or was it because of the Excel sheet he had in front of him? Still, at this point, it didn't matter because it put a huge dent into his productivity.

"Have you gone through the numbers yet?" his dad asked as he continued to type away furiously on his own work computer.

"Almost. It's all pretty much the same as last month," Adrian replied while he did a quick recheck to make sure that he was right. "Yeah, pretty much the same," he confirmed.

"Okay."

After attempting to refocus on his work for the fifth time, he skimmed through the rest of the numbers of what they made that month. It was all pretty normal, meaning there were no big changes or anything alarming to look at.

After he made a note at the end of that sheet explaining that everything was clear, Adrian turned his attention to his dad and noticed that the latter was still typing like his life depended on it.

"I'm done," he announced.

"Okay."

"Do you need anything else?"

It was more of a courtesy question than an offer, especially considering how much Adrian was begging for the answer to be "no."

"I just have one more thing for you to look at—"

Dammit.

"It's short, so it won't take long."

"Okay," he said as he tried not to give an attitude.

"Here." His dad handed him a document. "Just a few things you need to fill out."

Adrian nodded as he opened the envelope, and wondered why it had the address to a high school. He then took out the papers and realized that they were transfer forms.

Why would he need to transfer?

"We're moving?"

His dad nodded in response.

"Why?"

For the first time that day, his dad sighed. "Things are getting more complicated around here. There are more incidences where kids are going missing or dead. We don't have enough fighters in our pack, and we have a lot of families."