Chapter 2: An Old Face a New Painting

Harry's POV (3rd person)

By the time the train pulled into the station at Hogwarts, the golden trio, decided to wait it out until it had emptied. They would have to deal with people smothering themselves and Harry enough throughout the school year, no point in rushing the process. But that also meant making small talk with Malfoy, Why did he have to be here? Harry thought silently, a small huff escaping his lips. Sure he'd gotten Malfoy and his mother off from being sent to Azkaban but, that was to fulfill the debt of her saving his life in the war. Once the train was finally clear they all got out of the compartment, only to find one carriage with a not so happy looking Thestral, most likely mad for having to wait. Now Harry would have willingly left Malfoy to walk, but, sadly Hermione isn't that cruel. "Malfoy do you want to join us?" she asked with a tight voice, he was sure Hermione wasn't pleased with her own suggestion, but she wasn't cruel. Holding onto who Harry came to know as Celeste, his calico kitten, Malfoy nodded ever so slightly with a grateful look in his eyes. Climbing into the carriage with the three the blond elegantly, obviously, sat down next to Harry seeing as Ron was glued to Hermione's side.

-Time Skip-

Thankfully they all got to the great hall before the first year ceremony began, rushing to their respectful house tables the ceremony started. The first years were sorted into their houses, though it was odd... many of the children that had been sorted into Slytherin looked beyond terrified, that wasn't right. Harry furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, "Mione why did they react like that?" he asked just above a whisper, she sighed and looked to him, "The war Harry... it really changed peoples views on the houses, mostly Slytherin though." she explained with a sad look. It wasn't the first year's faults they were chosen to be in Slytherin, it was a misconception that all Slytherins were bad, Harry knew this now. So maybe not all of them were on the 'good' side in the war, but they were influenced heavily by their parents since they were born. They may have been old enough to make the decision on their own, but they weren't ready to choose between their families or the correct path, none of them should have even taken action in the war. Plus it was not like Slytherins were the only ones on the Dark Lords side during the war, many other houses had been on his side, it wasn't fair that the first years this year were scared out of their minds for being placed in the 'bad' house. Though Harry did feel like a hypocrite, he never wanted to be placed in Slytherin himself, but he was eleven.

Draco's POV (3rd person)

Sitting by himself at the end of the Slytherin table Draco continued to pet Celeste who was now resting on his lap, there weren't as many first years as normal this year, though that was most likely because parents had opted to send their children to the other magical schools this year. Less risk. Even though that was absurd, seeing as the war was over and the Dark Lord was dead. He felt a vibration on the bench near him and looked to see Blaise and Pansy, he sighed in relief and sent them a pointed look, peeved that they had left him on that blasted train alone. "Dray, we are sorry okay? That train was not a good idea for either of us!" Pansy reasoned, taking his arm and looking at him with pleading eyes. He shrugged her off, still angry, but he couldn't stay angry... they were his best friends. Even if it looked like Pansy was just pining after him all the time, that wasn't it at all, in actuality it was always just a show for those who reported back to his father. It would be bad for him to find out that his only son was gay now wouldn't it? But it wasn't a problem anymore, seeing as he was in Azkaban, and he'd told his mother after the trials were done. She approved with an amused look, saying she had known since he insisted on dressing better than most boys would. That's beside the point though, he was angry at his two best friends for abandoning him!

Blaise shared Pansy's apologetic look, "Draco come on if we had known your mother had not arranged other transportation for you we would have taken you with us!" he explained, eyes wandering to the Gryffindor table. Blaise sighed as his eyes graced a beautiful being, "Has he grown out of that adorable baby fat or is it just me?" he asked dreamily. What a pouf. "Blaise you were apologizing just a second ago you know? How did you go from that to ogling Longbottom?" Draco huffed out, bemused by his friends obvious eyeing. "The heart wants what it wants Draco." the other boy breathed out, unwillingly tearing his eyes away, "Not that it would ever happen of course," Blaise grumbled. Before Draco could protest to his friend's negativity the headmistress began to speak, "Now as you all know. We have decided to offer an 8th year to all our 7th year's from the war, because of this we have more students than predicted." McGonagall spoke with a booming voice, "8th years will all be sharing a common room, and no this will not be discussed because you all want to be petty about past mistakes. The war is over, that means you get over it or you don't continue your education, your choice. Of course." she smiled a smile that left no room for protest, the 8th years were silent. In Draco's mind though, he was thoroughly freaking out, this was not good... He looked to his two best friends who had on their outer shells of pure poise, but he knew just how much they were shocked by this new knowledge.

-Time Skip-

Once the feast was over, all 8th years were led to the new common room by McGonagall, "Now children, young adults, however, you refer to yourselves as. I do not care if you are old enough to be drinking, going off the grounds without parental permission, the rules still apply to you." she sent pointed looks to everyone as she stood in front of an empty painting, why it was empty no one knew. "There will be no drinking on school days, feel free to have a drink on Hogsmeade weekends though, I cannot control you from doing what you are legally allowed to do off school grounds." McGonagall informed before knocking on the painting, "Now this will be your way into the common room." she explained before a figure appeared in the painting with an annoyed look. The figure that appeared however shocked everyone, "What are you all looking at?" the monotone voice rang out, "Severus please don't give them too hard of a time, it's been a long day, I'm sure they are shocked." McGonagall sighed out. Nodding slightly Severus looked at the crowd and sniffed, head held high, "Who can answer me this? What page number did I ask multiple of you to turn to when I filled in for Professor Lupin in Defense Against the Dark Arts?" he asked boldly. Leaving many confused students just standing there. Draco looked around the crowd to see if anyone knew and of course, Granger raised her hand after a few seconds, "Step forward Ms.Granger, I don't need a raised hand, I am no longer your Professor." Severus huffed out, she stepped forward and cleared her throat, "It was page 394 Sir. I believe it was on werewolves, ironically." she answered confidently. The painting swung open slowly to reveal the common room and everyone cheered for Granger, now how she knew that Draco would never know, but he was impressed. Though he would never admit that.