Prologue | A New Beginning.

A young auburn-haired lad and his sword stood quietly in a field awash with the light purple petals of violets, awaiting the arrival of a close friend

A young auburn-haired lad and his sword stood quietly in a field awash with the light purple petals of violets, awaiting the arrival of a close friend. Dark, threatening storm clouds gathered overhead, spelling out a storm in the close future, but he did not care.

A slight rustling came from behind the line of stringy pines, announcing the arrival of the one he'd requested to meet.

'Johnathan?' A voice, low and cautious, belonging to his friend. The lad's head snapped up to the sound, his fingers playing on the hilt of his jeweled rapier as the owner of the voice came into view, wild, crazy red-streaked hair blowing in the wind.

'You came.'

'I did. It was a hasty trip back from the city, though. I'm exhausted. You're lucky I'm so compassionate.' The lad- Johnathan- laughed, knowing full well that his companion was known for her nonexistent compassion.

'Fair enough. How'd your public reading go?'

A humourless smirk gracing the delicate face of his friend, Johnathan watched carefully as she spoke.

'Not bad. Could've been worse. I was amazed that Ad Extremum was so welcomed, actually. But that's not why you called me here, is it, now, Nat? You're here to finish the job for the royal family, for your Princess Savana. Tell me, how did my siblings die? Was it with honour? Or did they fall before you, one by one, begging for forgiveness?'

Johnathan cocked his head to the east wind, detecting no hint of mourning whatsoever.

'You don't seem quite upset about their deaths.'

'I'm not. Just curious. This day, this time...' The girl's cerulean eyes, made up of tiny crystals that reflected her thoughts, shone brightly in the darkening weather.

'The wind is blowing east,' she remarked.

'Yes, I know.'

'Quite fitting, if I may say so myself. You chose a good day to ask for the east wind's blessing. Only when the wind is blowing east will you have the best chances of bringing about the downfall of what is known to society as the epitome of greatness. I guess chance and luck are both needed to bring this thick parasitic pillar down. About time too- I was getting impatient.'

A flash- then a lightning quick reaction. Her movement was so slight it was almost undetectable; the clash of blades were the only sign of what had transpired after 'impatient' had left her mouth.

Johnathan's eyes, in contrast to his friend's sharp, cool blue, were a scarlet mix of fear, anger, and low confidence.

'So you knew,' he whispered accusingly. 'You knew, all along, all this time.'

The two moved again, Jonathan attacking, the girl parrying then counter-attacking.

'Of course I knew. Had I been the your enemy in the stead of acquaintanceship,' Johnathan winced as his opponent purposefully downgraded their relationship, 'I would have been able to predict every move you made. It is as obvious as the sun in Helsinki in the winter.'

The delicate girl grunted as the lad put pressure on her rapier blade; Johnathan knew that the girl, an author, did not bother herself with building muscle the way he did. He knew that she only concerned herself with the stamina all of her family were known for having.

'Helsinki's winters are cruel to its people,' the genius added, giving a hearty shove that knocked Johnathan off balance, giving her enough time to slip from outside of his sword to the inside, the blade of her rapier at the tender skin around his throat.

Jonathan stared evenly at her eyes, then down to her sword, which had a brilliant sheen of red covering its length. Blood? His eyes traveled down to his bicep, which held a happily bleeding gash that stained his Prussian blue coat a deep royal purple. He turned his gaze back to his friend, who stared back with eyes that betrayed nothing.

'I suppose,' he said slowly, 'that you expect me to surrender?'

'That's the only option you have, yes.'

'Then I suppose... I should finish this.'

Dear Nat,

I have a favour to ask of you...