Chapter 4

Previously

"Do you hear it?" Her voice was faint and a different sound replace it.

My mind was complete blank. I felt my eyes darken by the mental replacement Lila and I had. She took over so she could lead me to the classroom.

"Do you hear it now?" She asked.

Present

It was the heartbeat my mother was talking about. Could he be here? He should be able to hear mine as well.

Lila took over my body so she could find him easily.

At first it was quiet but every time I got closer it became louder.

I followed the heartbeat that lead me to my first period. I was full questions so I opened the door. The teacher looked at me in disappointment.

"You're lucky you're a new student, Miss. Anderson." She scowled. I huffed and looked at the class. There was this guy that stood out from the rest of the class. He was so handsome I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He stared back at me with a 'wow' look.

"Mate..." I whispered.

His expressions turned confused.

And... he's human.

"Go on, introduce yourself." The teacher said. "I-I'm Dayna Anderson. I moved into the wol— neighborhood nearby," a few students stared at me like they knew what I was talking about. Oh, they're part of the pack. "I came from the town that's nearby here, I realized my mom was here so I moved in with her."

"Don't worry, we get what you're saying." A girly voice said. It was a mindlink that some students were connecting with.

"Just don't blow your cover."

I nodded at what she was saying. "Is that all?" The teacher asked. "Uh, Ye—." "Go sit behind Mr. Jett." She pointed her pen towards my mate. "Yes!" Lila shouted. "Shh!"

I sat behind him and stared. He's so... amazing. He smelt like soap but without those flowery scents. Just... soap. It was very calming. "Oh my fucking god! I just want to mark him right here, right now! But isn't weird that he's human? You can't tell him wha—."

"Yeah Lila, I know. As much as I want to love all over him too, we have to stand guard until the right time comes." I spoke. Lila can be very difficult when it comes to stuff like this.

Especially animals. When just us two went hunting, she didn't ask my permission to take over my body. She went all savage and destroyed a whole duck family. I don't even like duck! I'm more into bigger animals.

I tried looking at pretty boy's face again clearly. All sound canceled out and all I could hear was his heartbeat. I love that sound. It helps me to know if he's alive and safe.

His scent traveled to my nostrils; I took a deep inhale and just fell in love. He was absolutely beautiful. His dark brown hair matching his vanilla skin, and beautiful, absolutely beautiful, grey eyes. "Who knew you are human, my love? I promise I'll protect you with all of my wolfhood," Lila whispered.