Chapter One- Stars Above

==========================================================

It is grey and rainy the day it begins. The leaves, their vivid reds and oranges are dull today, muted. They crunch noisily under the feet of passerby who do not seem to notice nor care about the change in weather. The sun begins to dip below the horizon, the most likely answer for their apathy. Brewing storm clouds hang low and dark in the sky. Rain stirs furiously within them, as if in preparation for what to come. 

Capricorn lounges on a thin futon, annoyance sketched across his face. Next to him sits Pisces, unperturbed by her moody companion. 

In the corner across from the duo, there is a black haired woman standing so still that one could've mistaken her for a mere shadow. The only indication of her presence is the occasional clink of one of her knives against each other as she twirls them lazily. 

The room is silent, though each second that passes feels like an eternity. Aquarius's expression grows darker with every moment that flies by, until she finally can't help it anymore and lets one of her knives fly. It embeds itself deep into the wall, right above Capricorn's head. 

"Don't take your impatience out on me." Capricorn says mildly, eyes flicking up to meet her own. He doesn't even flinch at the fact that his life could've just ended right there, and Aquarius can't help but feel a twinge of annoyance at that fact. "There's dartboards in the other room." 

Aquarius huffs. "I am going to stand patiently in this room until that bull-headed idiot comes back. Then we'll see."

"Please don't kill Aries." Pisces interjects quietly. 

Aquarius just rolls her eyes, though she does slip her knife back into her pocket. "Tell me why I need to be here again?"

Capricorn scowls at her. "You know that the next few days are important."

"Ah, yes, the show that you're so adamant on putting on for the other gangs." Aquarius sighs. "I really don't get it Cap, must we do this every year?"

"Shadow Street needs to know their place, and we have to establish ourselves as the strongest of the five." Capricorn just says curtly, and the subtle shift in the atmosphere signals that the conversation is over.

Just then, a loud knock is heard at the door, four taps in short, rapid succession. The three fall silent. A quick staring contest is held and finally Pisces sighs, rising to go open the door.

Aries stands at the doorway, copper red hair messily windblown and hands shoved deeply into his pockets. He just smiles sheepishly as Pisces gives him a scrutinizing glare, up and down. 

He must take her for a fool, because the crimson bloodstains he's so desperately trying to hide shoot up his wrists, splattering to an end on his forearms. Pisces has always had a knack for spotting injuries. But this right here isn't even hard to spot, and both of them know that. 

"Let him in," Capricorn's voice breaks the awkward silence and after a brief moment Pisces finally lets him pass. However, the moment his back is turned to her, she throws a roll of bandages at his head.

This Aries manages to dodge, but the knife that follows comes too quick for him to even see. The thin blade cuts a shallow groove through his hair, and he stumbles backwards in shock.

"A-Aquarius! I didn't know you would... be... here..." He trails off uncertainly, surprise and unease clear on his face after spotting the assassin. 

"I wouldn't be, if you had done your job correctly." Aquarius glowers, anger clear on her face. 

"Aquarius." Capricorn chastises, before turning to Aries. "You're late." He says that simple fact so icily that Aries feels a small seed of dread plant itself into his stomach. Aquarius' cold glare bores into him like a laser and he can't help but feel like this is some sort of pincer maneuver, pinning him in between two monstrous terrors.