Chapter 1

The War Within Itself

A Civil War Story

The day that it happened it was a bright and sunny day. I had no idea what I was about to be asked. My name is Maddie Higgins, and I'm a maid for the governor of Louisiana. The date is May 15, 1862, in America. Just last year President Abraham Lincoln announced the war against slavery. It's a war within itself, brother and brother are fighting against each other and not having a regret of killing the other. In Louisiana it seems like everyone is for slavery, not even my own family is against slavery. I'm secretly against it. My belief started when I saw a mother being dragged from her newborn. It's just not right to have a mother separated from her baby. This is my account of my part in the war within itself.

January 1, 1862

I had just finished with serving dinner for the governor, and was exiting the building. I had a half a mile to go to reach home. As I was walking, I noticed that the marketplace was not its ordinary mundane place. It was quite empty as a matter of fact, there was not anyone buying or even selling, but I could still smell the wonderful smells of the dessert shop, and I felt an urge to go take a look.

As I walked slowly to the entrance, I could see men and women hiding in the shadows of one of the largest structures. I asked, "Is anyone there?" I stood there in complete silence. Suddenly I heard a shy female voice in reply, "What side of the war are you on?"

I was thrown aback surprised by the words. A person hiding in the shadows is asking my opinion. Trying to find words to answer I finally was able to say out in fear, "Why do you need to know?" I immediately started to back away. I had my hand on the cold rusty door when it was suddenly closed and locked from the other side. I was consumed with fear, and I was about to scream when a dark, cold hand covered my mouth.

"Don't scream, we will be revealed," whispered the man covering my mouth. He let his hand slowly lower from my mouth. I took a huge breath of fresh air. I turned quickly around to see him in the fire light, and saw a man of color. Whom I guessed to be a slave.

"Please ma'am, could you answer my wife's question? What side of the war are you on?"

"Let me repeat myself, why do you need to know?" I answered.

Soon I heard another man's voice from the shadows answer, "George, let me talk to her for now." He stepped out, he was a strong built, had brown hair, and striking green eyes. He was the only white man to be seen. "Maddie and me need a little time to talk alone please." All the people left were people of color who stood up and left the room.

"How do you know my name?"

"I know many things about you. Like how you work as a maid for the governor of Louisiana. I just need you to answer one simple question, what side of the war are you on? I fight for the Union, and no matter what you say I will respect your answer."

I thought for a moment if I could trust him. I finally answered, "I am for the Union."

"Maddie, I have been watching you for six months now and have thought you can to play an important role. There is one role that suits you best, a spy. I know this is a life threatening job, but you will be doing this for the fate of America. You have direct access to what the governor of Louisiana is planning, and you are merely a girl, so no one will suspect you. Are you up to it?"