Chapter 2

January 2, 1862

I was so taken by surprise that I woke up in a cot surrounded by everyone. "She's coming to," a woman shouted. I sat up and looked around. There was a vanity, a big window on one side of the room, an oak desk for studies, a blue carpet, and a redwood wardrobe. I realized that this was my room and the woman right next to me was my mother.

"What happened, Mother?"

She looked at me questionly and replied, "You were found at the marketplace, a young handsome soldier brought you home. Thank God for him, or without him you would be still lying there on that cold dirt ground." A look of disgust came on her face. "Wait," Mother exclaimed, "He is still downstairs, I will bring him up to have you thank him!" I knew that Mother was trying to find me a husband, I smiled in spite of myself.

When she left the room I started to think to myself. Was I really asked to be a spy? Or was it all a dream? I will have to ask the man who found me if anyone else was there. Maybe the man who is there is the man who found me! He was fairly handsome.

Before I could think more Mother entered with a man in a gray uniform. As I got a closer look at him, I could tell it was not the man I met in the market. He had broad shoulders, most likely very strong, light blue eyes, red hair, and a kind face. "Maddie, this is soldier Edward Släva. He was the one who found you."

"My, your Mother was right, you are beautiful when you're awake."

I blushed from the compliment, "Why thank you, Edward. No need to be rude, but I see your uniform is gray. Are you for the....?"

He replied calmly, "Why, yes. Are you againstthe confederacy?"

Thinking greatly about what to say, I finally decided it would be better if I lied. "No...what rank are you in the army?"

"Just behind the governor," he replied.

Mother looked at me and mouthed words. I was able to decipher them and said, "Oh, and thank you for finding me."

"My pleasure, I was at station looking for runaway slaves and I looked over and saw you lying by one of the statues. One thing led to another and I brought you home."

"I will let you two talk while I make breakfast," Mother announced.

As soon as Mother left, we stared at each other in complete silence. I then asked, "Edward, was there anyone in the marketplace when you found me?"

He then thought for a moment then smoothly replied, "No, there had been a family of slaves being sold and they did not want to be sold so they attacked. There was quite a fight. Everyone had left, in fact I was patrolling for the slaves when I found you. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I had a memory of meeting a man in the marketplace. I'm still trying to recal the memory. But it must have been a dream since no one was there."

He checked his pocket watch and suddenly said, "Well it is time for my shift. I have to go, I do hope that we will meet again."

I smiled and thanked him for coming, and as soon as I blinked the door was shut and he was gone. I looked over at my desk and saw a rose and a note. As I read it, I found out it was from Edward. My cheeks turned red with even the thought of him. My day and week continued as normal, with occasional sights and thoughts of Edward.