CHAPTER ONE

"Come on, Julie, you're going to be late if you aren't careful. You know I-"

"-was never late," Julie finished. "Yes, Aunt Evie, I know. I'm meeting new clients at The Rose Chalet today and I really want to make a good impression. Do I look okay?"

Julie's aunt was in her sixties now, with gray hair and a slight stoop caused by too many years of bending over hot stoves. But she still looked good for her age, and she still had that same no-nonsense attitude she'd had when Julie was a child.

Even though Julie was twenty-eight now, Evie still didn't hesitate to wipe off a spot of smudged makeup from her cheek.

"You look lovely, sweetheart."

"Are you sure?"

Julie checked her appearance in the mirror hanging by the door one more time, knowing everything had to be perfect for today. She usually tied her dark hair back when she was cooking, but she'd left it down this morning, knowing she made a better impression on strangers when it was falling down around her shoulders. She'd decided on a simple combination of a navy-blue sweater and dark pants for the day, because they were practical enough to cook in while still looking professional.

Aunt Evie nodded. "Of course I'm sure. Though you could do with putting on a few pounds. Whoever heard of a thin cook?"

"This from the woman who wouldn't dream of missing her exercise class twice a week?" Julie laughed. She glanced at her reflection again and ran one hand over her hair. "Maybe if I-"

"I'm not going to stand here complimenting you when you should already be on your way to work," Aunt Evie said. "You have had breakfast, haven't you?"

"I'll get something later," Julie promised.

"Probably from one of those food trucks you seem to love so much." Her aunt harrumphed.

Julie gave her aunt a kiss on the cheek, then ran out to the car she was borrowing. Her beloved Mustang had gone the way of her old apartment, sucked away by debts when the restaurant went under.

Julie wove through traffic, hoping she wouldn't be stopped while she completely ignored the speed limit in an effort to be on time. As Aunt Evie had pointed out, she had never been late in all the time she'd worked at The Rose Chalet, and Julie now had her aunt's old job...sort of.

Actually she was just filling in. Rose Martin, the owner of the wedding venue, had been clear about that. She only wanted someone to help out with one wedding. Then she would start looking for someone permanent to head up the catering department at The Rose Chalet.

Julie couldn't afford to screw this up. Not if she wanted a chance to turn temporary work into a permanent job.

As she parked her car in front of The Rose Chalet a few minutes later Julie thought, again, what a beautiful place it was. The building had a refined, old-fashioned elegance, surrounded by small but elegant grounds that were expertly maintained. It was exactly what a bride and groom would want in a wedding venue: a little slice of paradise carved out of the middle of a big city.

At present, however, the reception area was a bit chaotic. Rose was there, looking as pristine and lovely as ever, her red hair carefully arranged, her delicately patterned dress suiting her perfectly. She was standing at the bottom of a stepladder while RJ, the handyman/gardener, worked to replace some damaged wooden scrollwork up near the ceiling. Given that he was both muscular and good-looking, Julie could think of a few women who wouldn't mind holding ladders for him, but apparently Rose didn't agree.

"Could you hurry up, RJ?"

RJ flashed a smile back down at Rose. "I would hurry, but I know you couldn't live with yourself if I fell off this thing and broke my neck. Just hold it steady for a few more seconds, boss."