CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

"Wow, you look really happy this morning." Julie looked up from her work in The Rose Chalet's kitchen to find Phoebe walking in. "You're practically whistling while you work. I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed, you know," Phoebe joked.

Julie hadn't realized her change in attitude was that obvious. Though to be fair, who wouldn't feel as great as she currently did after dinner-and breakfast-with Andrew Kyle?

"I know that look," Phoebe said with a mischievous note in her voice. She gave Julie a long look. "Who's the lucky guy?"

"Phoebe!" Julie squirmed with embarrassment, but she was dying to tell someone about how good she was feeling and who else was she going to talk it over with? Aunt Evie? Even if the older woman wasn't planning to go out with her friends tonight, there were some things you just didn't discuss with your aunt.

"How did you guess?" Julie asked.

"You're practically glowing, and you obviously haven't been home to change, because that dress is far too formal for work."

That was from a woman who was currently wearing a floral number that fell past her knees and looked as if it had come out of the 1950s. Julie raised an eyebrow, but Phoebe shrugged.

"This is retro-chic. That," she said as she gestured to Julie's outfit, "is an impromptu sleepover. I know the difference. Now, are you going to tell me who it is, or am I going to have to guess?"

When Julie didn't answer immediately, Phoebe turned thoughtful, leaning her head on one hand while she ran through the possibilities and dismissed them.

"Let's see, it has to be someone you've been spending a lot of time with. Good-looking, obviously. Someone who-" Her eyes grew big. "Oh, my God, you didn't! Andrew Kyle?"

Not knowing what else to do, and frankly quite grateful to finally be able to tell someone, Julie nodded with a smile she couldn't possibly contain.

"Lucky you! He's gorgeous. How did it happen? Details, I demand details."

For a second or so, Julie blushed hot enough that she could probably have used her own face to heat a warming oven. Still, she had to talk this over with somebody or she would explode.

After a quick look around to ensure they were all alone, she gave a quick explanation of the highlights of her relationship with Andrew. Still, regardless of how encouraging Phoebe was about it, Julie knew not everyone would feel the same way.

"I'd really appreciate it if you didn't mention any of this to Rose. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be very happy if she heard that I was involved with a client. Especially one I have a history with."

It wasn't that The Rose Chalet's owner was some fun-hating boss from hell, but Rose was running a business, and had to hope for the minimum amount of interpersonal complications between employees and clients.

"Don't worry, I won't say a word," Phoebe said, but before Julie could get back to work, her friend put a hand on her arm. "I'm really happy for you, but with a guy like Andrew Kyle-"

"I know. Be careful," Julie said. "Thanks, Phoebe."

Phoebe headed out into the garden and Julie was just reaching for a baking pan when she turned and ran straight into Rose.

The owner of The Rose Chalet did not look happy. Actually, Julie quickly realized, it was more as though her face had shut down so that she didn't have to show what she really felt. It was, strangely, worse than if she had been shouting.