15.

This time, I had a reason to be nervous about the cameras; they would be pointing at me at some point. Thankfully, I was less overheated this time because my maids had listened to me and primarily made my gown of a gauzy material they'd called tulle, with a thin silk underskirt that gave it most of its periwinkle coloring. The heaviest part was in my torso, which was made of two layers of tulle but covered in pale blue fabric flowers. 

I was seated between Jing and Blossom, and they chattered around me as suit-clad people ran around, rushing to set up before the cameras turned on. They were talking about Alexander.

Blossom tossed her golden hair over her shoulder. She was dressed in a pale pink gown decorated with flowers, her lips painted a pale, glossy pink to match. She looked delicate and frail, and it was hard to believe that we were roughly the same age. She had an arrogant grin plastered over her pretty features, which was an ugly look on someone so delicate. "Alexander and I are getting along great," she bragged. "He seems to think that we really have a connection, and I agree."

It was bullshit and bravado. Clara had told me that Alexander could stand her about as much as he could stand Celine, which was not very much.

"Same here," Jing replied, tossing her sleek black hair over her shoulder. She had soft, beautiful features, her eyes so dark they were nearly the same color as her hair and her skin flawless and pale. Her nails were painted red to match her dress, which was tight-fitting and patterned with delicate flowers. It had a high neck and no sleeves, and it looked like it was done in a popular East Asian style. This didn't surprise me; Jing was one of the girls that happened to have New Asian ancestry, but her ancestry came with the added bonus of a shitload of connections to a number of businessmen and possibly the royal family. "We've gone on all sorts of amazing dates. I think he's going to keep me around for a while."

Blossom giggled. "Me too. He seems really interested."

Celine turned in her chair to join the conversation. "Sorry to disappoint, ladies, but he's already put me down for the Elite. I was the first on the list. He even said that he's not too interested in interacting with the other girls in the competition, he just does it because he feels bad."

That was wrong, too. I was the first on the list, and of the two names on the list, Celine was definitely not one of them. I said nothing and tried hard to not show any outward reaction to what they were saying. I was thinking that they were doing it specifically to piss me off, but I wasn't too sure. 

She, Blossom, and Jing chattered on about Alexander and how great and wonderful he was, and the entire conversation was the weirdest thing I'd ever heard. It was clear that Celine was only in it for the fame and money (and probably for the sex, too), Jing was in it for fame, and Blossom was in it because she wanted, as she put it, "to make a lot of beautiful children". 

Thankfully, the cameras coming on effectively cut off their conversation. Silon strutted onto the stage once more, and although he was funny and interesting, I couldn't find it in me to pay attention to what he was saying. I was too tired and too nervous. 

Then the interviews started, and I payed attention to them because I needed to know what the others were saying. They were all raving about their time at the palace, how wonderful the princes were, how well they thought everything was going with this prince or that prince...the list goes on. 

Aquia went before me because she was a row in front of me, and she was dressed in a bright blue dress that faded to white. When she sat in the chair, she gave a brilliant smile that was every bit as sweet as her personality. I looked over at Mason. He was leaning forward, elbows resting on his knees, and a grin was splitting his face. He looked so happy it hurt. I made a mental note to tell Aquia about that later.