Prologue

PROLOGUE

            A massive dark ginger tom glared at four young cats with angry green eyes. “Traitors!” he spat. “You killed Leafstar!”

            A white tom with sky blue eyes stared calmly up at the furious tom. “Yes, we did, Sharpstar. Why does it even matter to you? She was just a pathetic old she-cat that we had to kill twice before she finally stayed dead,” the white tom meowed.

            Sharpstar narrowed his eyes. “How dare you talk about Leafstar like that?” the SkyClan leader asked furiously.

            “Because it’s true!” a ginger she-cat with blue eyes said.

            “Silence, Dawnleaf!” Sharpstar hissed.

            The white tom spoke up again. “So? What are you going to do to us? Kill us?” he asked.

            Sharpstar took a deep breath before speaking again. “Leave the territory. If we see you on our territory any time past sunhigh today, my warriors have permission to kill you,” the SkyClan leader meowed.

            “I would like to see them try to,” the white tom murmured.

            Angry hisses came from the SkyClan cats, but Sharpstar remained calm. “Leave now!” he commanded firmly. “Cherrytail, Rockshade, Bouncefire, and I will escort you to the border.”

            The white tom looked like he was about to argue, but Dawnleaf whispered in his ear, “Don’t fight. This isn’t worth it and it isn’t a battle you can win.”

            The white tom nodded slowly to her and he let the SkyClan cats escort him to the border. When they reached the border, Sharpstar and his companions stopped. “Go and never return,” Sharpstar said.

            The four cats disappeared and only then did Sharpstar and his warriors leave. “Where are we going to go?” Dawnleaf asked the white tom.

            A black she-cat spoke up. “Do you not trust Snowpelt to lead us to a good place?” she asked.

            “I do, Moonflame,” Dawnleaf said. “I just would like to know.”

            “I’ll tell you where we are going,” Snowpelt meowed. “We are going to find the other Clans.”