Chapter 2: Bramblestar

BRAMBLESTAR

            Bramblestar slowly padded out of his den and stopped about a tail-length away from Woodpelt. He stared at the young brown tom, waiting for an answer. “When I was about five moons old, I had a severe case of greencough. So did my sister, Shadecloud. We were both taken to the medicine cat den and we eventually recovered. It was amazing how Jayfeather cured cats simply by using herbs…” Woodpelt began.

            “Why did you call a Clan meeting just to tell us this?” Bramblestar said.

            “Let me finish!” Woodpelt snapped.

            “I wanted to be a medicine cat. I wanted to heal my Clan. But there was Flowerburst, back then she was just an apprentice. She was the prettiest she-cat in the world…and if you’re a medicine cat you can’t have a mate,” Woodpelt said.

            Bramblestar had a pretty good idea about where this was going. “Well, she’s dead now,” Woodpelt said. “And she was the only reason I became a warrior instead of a medicine cat. I have no desire to be a warrior any longer. And now that Shadecloud has stepped down from her position as medicine cat, I must ask Jayfeather a question. Will you accept me as your apprentice?”

            Murmurs of shock rippled through the Clan. All eyes turned to Jayfeather, the only cat who seemed unsurprised. Jayfeather had probably already known what Woodpelt was going to say before he had said it.  “Yes,” the blind medicine cat meowed.

            The murmurs of shock slowly turned to murmurs of acceptance. A few cats even began to chant his name. “Woodpelt! Woodpelt!”

            Woodpelt leaped down from the Highledge and padded over to where Jayfeather sat near the entrance to the medicine cat den. Bramblestar strained his ears to hear what they were saying. “How much do you know about herbs?” Jayfeather asked.

            “Marigold to stop wounds from getting infected, catmint for greencough and whitecough, and feverfew to stop fever. Oh and if you’re out of catmint, tansy is good for greencough and whitecough,” Woodpelt answered.

            “Do you know what juniper berries are used for?” Jayfeather asked.

            “Umm, no,” Woodpelt said.

            “Good for bellyache and strength…” Jayfeather’s voice faded into the distance as they disappeared inside the medicine cat den.

            Bramblestar sighed. So much had happened in the past 6 moons. The battles with ShadowClan, Seedfur and Thorn, the battle with WindClan, where Lionblaze killed Ashstar, and now Shadecloud had decided that she no longer wanted to be a medicine cat and her brother, Woodpelt had taken her place.  What was next?

            In the back of his mind, he remembered the prophecy that Shadecloud had told him about. An unknown threat is near. Wind alone has the power to destroy our Clan.