The chill

Another cold daybreak of that Autumn. Of course, Autumns are always cold but this time it's not their bodies that are feeling it. Rather their hearts. Ah, how painful to not even feel the cold though she's sitting on the porch, watching the leaves fall, just in her pajamas.

It was only when Joshua, her husband and Prince of Dres Van draped his blazer around her shoulders did Susan turn around to give him a half smile. That instant his eyes glistened with moisture but she was quick to turn back again and it slipped her notice.

Susan: …Thank you…

Joshua: I know… and I'm sorry…

Susan: You don't have to Joshua. Besides you've said it a million times now and I know you mean it.

Joshua: Look at me, Susan… but it pains me to see you like this… and the dread that you…

He lowered his eyes letting his tears fall as he sat down beside her. She just touched his hand with her’s, almost cold and lifeless. He winced at the touch and pulled her by the shoulders into his chest. He was fully aware that she was rigid as wood and not the girl who cuddled with him a few weeks ago.

Joshua: Susan… had you married someone but me…

Susan: …You know, thank you…

He was expecting that answer but it still broke him and he wished he could better give his life to her to save her from the pain if it were possible. He pulled her closer still leaning his head against hers.

Joshua: Please, don't thank me, I beg of you… I'd much rather you killed me than thank me for that, Susan.

Susan: Joshua..

Joshua: If you had, would you… have been happier?

Susan: Don't ask questions you knew the answer to.

Joshua: You could say it again… for me, please.

Susan: No, I won't be happy.

Joshua: Thank you… And I love you, Susan. But I'm really sorry…

Susan: I know, Joshua. I know.

They were sitting together until he had to leave for his work. Jan had to call Joshua to remind him of the time every morning since few weeks ago. All the reason being Joshua's head was full of nothing but his wife Susan and that day.