Misunderstanding

It was a conference on national economy and the King was seriously nodding to the ministers but Joshua has yet to hear a word said by the King as he sat there, staring into space with face rigid as a stone. But little did everyone knew that was a mask so that he won't cry.

His mind floated back to that evening, to a sickening memory, one that he's relived for countless times by now and the one that will torment him for the rest of his life. That day he returned from a business trip, unusually livid.

Susan: Oh Joshua, welcome back. It really was a long three days.

Though she smiled brightly at him she sensed something was wrong and went to check if he had a fever. That when he grabbed her shoulders and started to shout as he shook the life out of her.

Susan: What's wrong? Are you not feeling…? Eek…!

Joshua: Hey! What the hell was that for? You made me a laughing stock today…!

Susan: Wha… What do you mean?

Joshua: That agreement was supposed to be REJECTED! And you… you signed the approval for it without even caring to double check. All that for trusting you, shit!

Susan: But you said…

Joshua: Say no more! You don't have a damn right to say anything after all of that. Do you even have any idea what it's to run a country? That's why I told you to stay put. But you had to go ahead and do this.

Susan: No, listen…

Joshua: Enough is enough. Thank you for all the embarrassment you caused me and my country today, please don’t interfere in national affairs. Got that?

Susan: I'm sorry… I only wanted to help…

Joshua: Who asked your help? I'm saying I don't need your help to govern the country! And listen, you interfering every part of my work and life is only causing more trouble than all it's worth. So stop and stay out of things! Understood?

She was already sobbing as he was talking but when he called her an interference she felt her blood run cold. He could have said anything but that. Still, in work and life? If he thinks his own wife is an interference she didn't know what she'd do. Her tears blurred her vision as she hurriedly apologized and ran towards her room before he could even turn around.

Susan: I- I'm sorry… for being in your way… I-I see I've been nothing but trouble… sorry, really.

Joshua: …

He stood there unmoving for a long time before he sighed heavily, putting both hands on his head. He didn't know what he could possibly say to reverse the wrenched expression on her face when she finally apologized. He was still half angry and sad but more angry towards himself now. As he dragged his feet to his room all he was aware of was the fresh wound in his heart and the agony he's seen in his Susan's face.