The Tiger's Den 2

I trembled at the surging darkness in the vast room.

The gurgling of the stream falling into the pool echoed in the quiet strange atmosphere.

The sort of strange quietness that settled down in the presence of a predator waking up.

Fear rooted me to my spot. It was great that I wore a dark veil.

I was certainly resembling a ghost as my blood seem to flee into hiding.

Before my mind could break under the heavy chaotic fog holding me down in place.

The master's sudden laughter sounded strange. I could not help my body shivering violently at the sound.

"You know the Protocol. Fai Long"

"Sir. I will not disturb you any longer" the man acknowledges swiftly, closing the door panel in a serious manner.

Much different than the apathetic attitude of the man that came before him.

"Come, Haun. The sound of water moving indicated that master did not have the mood to enjoy the cool bath anymore. I slightly raised my head a few inches but not daring to raise it to where his face should be. Although I don't think will make any difference. I wouldn't be able to see the man I have been serving for my fourteen summers. But if I still cherish my life, it goes without saying that I should not try to provoke such being. I took a few steps and took the things I need on the table shelf. The shelf was made of wood and was low making it convenient for me to place the essentials, using it as a table, hence the name. His official hat, a towel neatly folded on its right with a comb laid on it, beside the towel was a porcelain bottle of scented lotion, on the other side of the official hat was a scented pouch full of herbs that was made by his hands. A comb and towel to dry and style his hair into a proper knot of a King. It took an hour to dry his hair and gathered his hair into a knot, holding it together with a jade hairpin. Then, it was the skincare product to rub into his skin to maintain his healthy skin and prevent any skin disease. A nobleman like master must be clean and flawless. A subtle unique fragrance wafted under my nose as I bend down before his waiting figure. I can hear his calm breathing and feel it as I came closer. Carefully I applied it to his exquisite face. The planes were sharp and strong exuding a harsh feature akin to the face of a god of war. My fingers lingered at the scar that ran from his right temple straight down to the tip of the right side of his chin. I admired every inch of his sculpted body full of scars and burns for a moment and suppress the urge to dawdle. The last to moisturize is the feet. I capped the scented lotion and put it back to its place on the small shelf. With one step, I removed the inner garment made of silk on the hanger beside the shelf and neared him. I knew he was standing now, waiting for me patiently to dress him. It took almost half an hour to dress the man. It was a pity I could not see him. He must be looking sharp in his impeccable hanfuu almost like those officials, but master had much more bearing of a high status noble than them. I ran my hands over the belt making sure I did not tie it wrong and I felt around for any negligent wrinkles. Sweeping my hand over the small stitches forming a formidable pattern on his silk hanfuu of a tiger. The belt was also edged with complicated designs that were smoothed out with glaze. I nodded. Satisfied with my work. I reach for his official hat to put it on him as a finishing touch but involuntarily gasp in surprise as the sudden touch of burning fire on my wrist.

"This is good."

I nodded to show understanding, leaving the hat onthe table. I stepped back and bend down till my forehead touch the cool floorfor a minute before standing up and silently waited for more orders and when Iheard nothing, I followed behind him. Master was taking his time coming out andthe paper door panel closed softly behind me. As soon as my feet steps into thedeserted hallway my little hairs were all standing alertly at the familiarsensation of the walls and doors watching and listening. I hear the swish ofmaster's hanfuu as he leisurely walked to the guest room at the front section ofthe Fu. I turn around to walk deeper into the endless complicated place. It wasalways cold and unlit in the long hallways. The design was complicated. Sometimesthe hallways were open, and the imposing beams seems to reflect the shining sunas it harshly dug into my veil and my damaged eyes. Vines and other plants werelarge and thriving, bending towards the hallway, my hanfuu brushing againstthem.

I can imagine it. The shadows of them dancing on the wooden floor of the hallway, dispersing everywhere. I stop to smell a myriad of delicate flowers proudly swaying towards me. I can only brush my fingers on them. Wishing to see their beauty. There must be endless breathtaking flowers blooming around me incomparable to the roadside flowers I have seen since little. Surrounded by them but can never have the chance to see. My lashes trembled but my eyes remained glued shut.

"Little Huan" I turned around in surprise.