Mama Songs and The Wine

"Mama Song" I called in surprise turning around to where the old woman's voice sounded.

"You look good today. I have been away for a while now. Third madam had asked how Third master's health has been. I just came back from the old Fu and ran into one of the palace nucei working at the front yard" Her old wrinkled hand grasps my hand. There was something in her hand that she pressed into my palm. A wine gourd that gave out a peculiar smell that was strangely intoxicating. "Here. For third master. It is a good thing. The Third madam has heard first master came by. Third master must be having it hard."

"mama song, you have worked hard. I shall tell master of this and your visit. Certainly, the master will reward you mama song. The Master will be delighted to hear Madam's concern."

My voice was slightly trembling with excitement. I will make master happy with this.

Mama song laughed in delight. "very good little Haun. This old one will bother you once again to rest at your place. I will make you tea. Do not worry. I will make tea."

"oh, no bother at all mama song. You must be exhausted. Come I will make you tea. It is the host job to give comfort to the guest."

I put away the gift and lead the way. As we walked towards my courtyard, mama song asked me what the master was doing and how he is.

"Master is as usual. As for what master is doing. It is not my place to know."

"Surely you must know little Haun. You have been serving him from morning to night."

"Mama song. I tell you the truth. I do not know" I raised my hands helplessly.

The old woman sighed, falling silent beside me.

"Little Haun. You must work hard beside the third young master. Be a little more attentive. A servant knows who is master is and what the master's daily doings. I have told you this many a times. "

"Mama Song. I will take care to engrave your teachings to my heart. I will be more attentive from now on." I nodded in assent.

"very good little Haun."

The lady sat down with a big sigh. The tea set laid on the table. We waited for the boiled water in a thoughtful silence.

"Little Haun. Although I have tried to serve third master, it is a bit difficult for old me in this courtyard. Very different rules." Mama song broke the silence with a bit of melancholy tinging in her voice. I understood very well how she felt. I was almost thrown out the street the moment I stepped in to the Fu because of my wounds. I had hidden those painful fresh cuts underneath the torn dirty fabrics of my tattered clothes. The steward Guang was the first person I met and the second to be so harsh. But looking back he was probably doing his duty for master. I understood then. The fear. The fear of being abandoned if you showed sign of uselessness. Master had heard that I was brought in by the third Madame I had not met and had gave me the important job to test his food.

"Yes. Master does not like too many people beside him" I nodded. Frowning underneath my veil. I had been a poison tester since I entered the Fu. I had stood beside him and have taken in countless poison for him. I am fortunate. He had called me Haun for that reason. I felt chilled. I— "mama song. Thank you for this gift. Master will be gladdened. The third madam has not visited him for a while."

Mama song laughs forcefully. "This old me saw third madam has been ill. But- "she grabs my hand tightly. "Little Haun. You must remind master to take care of his health for Madame."

I made a sound of agreement. Trying to free my hand from the painful grasp.

"I will make the tea now Madame song. Do not worry much about this matter. You must be tired."

After almost an hour of enjoying tea, I let the old mama out while she reminded me of the scented pouch use.

"Oh. I have heard that there will be the seventh prince's birthday in three days. You do not know. The seventh Prince is favored by the emperor. Third master will be going as he is an important member to the emperor. It is good to have master more presentable. I will help you with this"

I let out a pleased laughed and a careless manner, I sounded out my thoughts" It seems that mama songs is more suitable for my position. I will tell this to master. Do not worry Mama song. You have been attentive to master. Surely, you will get your dues."

The old lady paused for a few seconds but joined me in laughing. Her laugh seems off. Too forceful. It may be that I have stepped over the line.

I am here because I have been trained by her. She was the only one that had encouraged me to be more useful. I think master will reward her and see her as a loyal mama to that terrible woman. No wonder Master is ferocious as a tiger. The mother is vicious. The father is as well terrifying. That saying which this old mama has once said of these giant figures. Tigers cannot birth a dog. Master is but the black tiger. This old mama sometimes murmurs strange things which she believes I would not hear. I may be blind, but my hearing is far superior than average. Even sensing the atmosphere. I must always stand on shards of ice before the master.

Trust cannot be won because of sentiment. I may be blind but that does not make me blind to other things. I dropped the powder into my warm bath. I took off my servant uniform and step in cautiously. Habits die hard. The master comes first. Dying for master is something that would set me free from my slavery contract. I would be acknowledged as a loyal servant that had done what must be done for his master. I shiver in dread. Expecting something terrible to happen. I have vomited blood and been bedridden drinking his wine. I have turned pale with red dots dotting my skin from eating his rice. I have had my skin itch unbearably as if numerous ants were running around my body after biting into his meat.

This mama songs must be desperate to climb up. The wine smells strangely. Other than that, nothing has happened to me for an hour after that one tentative sip. Though I am experienced. Who knows that day I will meet my end.

I smiled. It seems I was wrong about mama song.

Mama song deserves some rewards after all but that must be master's decisions. This is truly a good thing. When master was bestowed with this courtyard, the emperor had sent him some palace maids that were pleasing to the eyes as mama song had said once. These palace maids have served at the front courtyard. One took my place as a poison tester and had died. Countless of them died after the other. It seems that they were not as strong enough as I am. Though, the consequence of taking poison each day had me looking as pale as a corpse. My body was as cold as a dead person. I smelled the wine again with a pleased groan. I felt a bit light headed. I like this wine. It is not too overpowering to the tongue. I think this will lightened master's bad mood from this afternoon.

Night fell. The male servant came to call on me. There was no woman except mama song. Still she was not allowed anywhere except to my small hall. The male servant was Xiao Mo. A tall and strong servant. Every male servant were master's war comrades that were loyal to him. Even Steward Guang was one. Mama songs had intentionally or unintentionally said it in my presence.

It was master's night bath. A better time for master to lay his worries to rest with wine and a bath. I held the wine in my hand tightly. I was very excited to show it to master. After countless familiar turns in this cold hallway. I stepped into the cold bath place. His pool was gently gurgling. It was almost hypnotizing.

Again, the presence of that apathetic man with my silent master was not surprising. For master this man was the first trusted person in the Fu. The second was Steward Guang. The apathetic man stood up and left with Xiao Mu.

I went forward to bow down in front of him. Slowly sliding it towards his feet.

"Master. Third madam is concerned about your health. Mama songs has brought this wine from Third madam for you to enjoy. I have already checked for poison. Nothing out of ordinary has happened to me after four hours."

"Good." He said in a pleased manner. I stood up to serve him again.