18| sacrifices

Oscar's pov

After Vanessa drove off in the ambulance i took her phone off the floor and got in my car.

"Oscar can you please take us to the hospital?" I turned around to see Elaina in tears. "Yeah get in." i glanced over at the short kid. "Ruby call your Tía." I ordered as we all piled into my car.

I sped off to the hospital but not too crazy since Aniyah was in the car. "Vanessa's mom said she's on her way." Ruby informed me.

Once we got to the hospital i parked the car and we all ran inside.

We sat in the waiting room for 20 minutes now and all i could think about was if Vanessa didnt make it.

I cant lose my baby. I never got to even tell her i loved her yet. She cant just leave me now.

I sat back in my chair and stared at the blank wall.

"Oscar?" I looked down and saw Aniyah with tears rolling down her face.

"Dont cry kid." I sighed while pulling her onto my lap, wrapping my arms around her in a comforting way.

"Is my sister going to die?" She cried.

"No. Your sister is a strong woman." I smiled at her trying to make her cheer up before she made me cry. It was too late though because a single tear ran down my cheek.

I felt her small hand wipe my tear.

We waited for the longest damn time to find out anything. Its weird because it felt like time stopped. I've lost many people in my life, people that i cared for, but i truly dont believe i could live without Vanessa. Time wouldnt continue for me if that was the case. So when the doctor finally walked out and walked over to me and Vanessa's mom i was scared.

"Im sorry but your daughter didnt make it." he tried to seem like he was sorry, but I'm sure he does this a lot. To him, Vanessa was just another patient, for me, Vanessa was everything.

I felt my whole body become numb. I just lost the love of my life in a blink of an eye.

I caught Vanessa's mom as she dropped to the floor in tears.

"Wait doc! Wrong family." A nurse sprinted out the door behind him.

He slowly looked at Vanessa's mom as she paused her crying. "Are you guys the family of Jane Dixon?" He questioned as we shook our heads no.

"My apologies." He mumbled awkwardly while walking away. I sighed of relief as the nurse walked closer to us.

"Are you the family of Vanessa Blanco?" She seemed nervous since we received the wrong news.

"Yes."

"Well... thankfully she wasnt stabbed in a vital area but she lost a lot of blood. But im glad to say she made it through."

Thank you, god. We all sighed in relief.

"When can we see her?" I asked her as she looked at me a little intimidated.

"Shes still asleep from the surgery but she should be awake in about an hour." She answered before walking away.

"Oscar im going to take the kids home. Are you staying?" Stella asked. I nodded my head.

"We will be back soon." She smiled at me before taking everyone with her.

I sighed as i plopped down on the chair eager to see my baby. I went on my phone to scroll through photos on my camera roll. They were photos that Vanessa took. She said it was important that i had photos of her so that if i ever get a new bitch i can be reminded that they wont compare. Her words not mine.

Foolish of me to think the pictures were just in case her small ass gets kidnapped.

I smiled to myself as i look at all the photos she took. I love this girl with all my heart she doesnt even know. She was so different compared to others. The only reason i never told her i loved her back was because i have a hard time saying those words to anyone. 'I love you' is a way of reminding someone you care, but its so vulnerable and affectionate and real. Too real.

The nurse walked out of a door and came over to me. "You can see her sir." She smiled as i stood up and followed her to Vanessa's room.

She was staring at the wall until she saw me. A small smile appeared on her face. "Hi baby." I quietly walked up to her and sat on a chair beside her bed.

"Hi." She said with a cute smile. "How are you feeling?" I asked her as i held her hand.

"Im feeling okay. The doctor said i have to stay here a little longer because the stab wound was pretty deep." She frowned as i kissed her forehead.

"At least you're alive." I smiled. "I thought i was gonna lose you. If you didnt make it id never forgive myself ever again." I shook my head as tears welled in my eyes.

"Baby its not your fault." She rubbed my arm gently as we exchanged looks. We were both broken.

"Vanessa if i never claimed you then Carmen would never have gotten mad and try to hurt you and your sister." I sighed while looking at her. "She couldve killed you."

"But she didnt." Vanessa frowned.

"Yeah and to make sure she never does im going to unclaim you. To keep you safe." I stared at the floor not wanting to see her reaction. I knew I'd regret this eventually. If keeping Vanessa out of my life would protect her from the world I would do it. She has a family and a future and i cant let a bitch like Carmen take that from her.

Realization hit Vanessa, "So does that mean-"

"We are breaking up." I interrupted her as i walked out the room while trying to hold back tears. Fuck i hate crying in public.

I quickly wiped my face and headed out the hospital and into my car.

I didnt want to break up with her, but being with her makes her a target. I cant do that to her. No matter how much i want and need her.

-sweeteasaint