9

Connor flinches so slightly. "I just got a report of a suspected deviant. It's a few blocks away," his eyes wander to the distinct direction of the case. "We should go have a look."
You grab the hair pin out of your pocket and twirl it through your fingers, skilfully spinning it on the joint of your forefinger and flipping it to catch it in your palm. "Let's go wait in the car - we'll let you finish your meal, Lieutenant."

Hank looked on as his two new teammates made their way to his vehicle. Connor had already started worming his way slowly into his heart, much to his horror, and Y/N had now too. By the end of this case, they'd be following him around everywhere anyways, going for days out and god forbid if he ever went on an amusement park ride in between a selfless android and a crazy girl with a drier sense of humour than himself, he probably wouldn't make it out alive.
"Jesus, save me from you two..." Hank grumbles, and at the thought of Connor's comment about cholesterol and ignoring it completely, he wolfed down the rest of his burger and chugged the rest of his soda, only to heavily fall into the driver's seat of his car and burp loudly, causing a humorous laugh from the backseat, in turn causing him to slowly smile.
"Great weather today, eh?" You trace a single rain drop racing down the door window with your finger. "Why is it this place always seems to be raining?"
"Because weather, Y/N."
"That doesn't-"
"Because of fucking weather."

You snort unattractively. "So, Connor, where is this place?"
"Take the next left, carry on for the next 300m and then take the next right; that should be the apartment complex."
"Okay, right." You rub your arms for warmth, the fur of your coat hood tickling your neck and the hair you pulled into a tight bun ticks into the fabric as you pull the hood up.

You all soon get out of the car, and a prickle at the back of your neck influences your whole body to resort to a machine like presence, your gaze narrowing and focusing; Hank and Connor notice the difference instantly. "You alright?"
Your face pulls into a tight smile which has the same effect as a grimace. "Perfectly." You swing the cracked and creaking door open, and your feet don't make a sound over the filthy floor and noise of the feigning downpour.

————————————————————

Connor watches as you step into the elevator and reads your drastically different body language. Before, you were relaxed and awkwardly amusing to all other presences, like an unsure wildcard thrown into the mix of high-ranking aces. Now, however, as she tightened the straggled bun to the back of her head, her fingers, tenderly and calmly pushing the door for the elevator that snapped opened like a metal carnivorous jaw, her new steely confidence reeling confusion into his system, she seemed one of the most powerful cards in the deck.

Connor frowned, feeling his software instability waver ever more, and began one of his regular checkups of his system in order to find any unwanted amalgamations in his code.

————————————————————

"Hey Connor," Hank called, facing the entrance to the elevator, looking back upon the android. You stood, hands loose in your pockets, waiting for his reply. "You ran out of batteries or what?"
Connor inclined his head. "I'm sorry, I was making s report to CyberLife."
"Uh.. well, do you plan on staying in the elevator?" Hank asked, slightly perturbed.
"No, I'm coming." Connor defended. You and Hank continued down the corridor, but you speed a quick, slightly worried glance over your shoulder with a thin smile - a very small break in your composure, and Connor's shoulders seemed to loosen subtly from their tight posture.
"What do we know about this guy?" Hank asks.
"Not much, just that a neighbour reported that he heard strange noises coming from this floor. Nobody's supposed to be living here, but the neighbour said he saw a man hiding a LED under his cap.
"Oh Christ, if we have to investigate every time someone hears a strange noise, we're gonna need more cops. Hey, were you really making a report back there in the elevator? Just by closing your eyes?"
"Correct."
"Shit..." Hank sighed, and a small chuckle escaped your lips. "Wish I could do that."