Two

Sammie

I pulled up in front of my mom's house as the time turned to noon. In just a few hours, the house would be full of family and friends, ready to surround Mira in celebration of her accomplishments. I contemplated pulling into the driveway, but knew that would just leave me trapped as more cars would fill it.

"Yo yo." I yelled out as I walked into the foyer.

"Outside!" I heard my mom call back to me. I dragged myself out to see her and my Aunt Candy setting up various tables.

"Oooh look at my sexy nephew! How you doing baby?" I cheesed going to hug her, knowing she traveled from the A and I didn't see her as often as I would have liked.

"Im good Auntie, how you been?"

"Good. You gotta come visit me. I can't thank you enough for your investment in my shop. Business has just been growin' and growin'."

"That's enough for me. And you know I will. I got a few things coming up in that area within the next few months so imma come spend some time witchu." I side hugged her again before walking over to my mom.

"Hey my baby. How you?" She asked kissing my cheek as I bent to hug her.

"Good, where this food I'm posed to be grilling?" I asked as we walked in the house.

We began pulling out the marinated steaks, chicken wings, shrimp, salmon and vegetable skewers out. The grill was gas and doubled so cooking wouldn't be too bad.

"Once those done you can get the burgers and hotdogs going." Mom commented.

"Shoot, or I'll get Reese to do em

"Shoot, or I'll get Reese to do em. He just coming for the food anyways." I slid the patio door back with my foot before setting the food out on the granite counter tops.

"Don't do him like that Sammie! Reese is welcomed to food anytime he wants." she glared at me before walking away.

"Well its just me and you baby." I lighted the grill up and decided to start with the chicken and steak.

I smirked to myself just thinking that being on the grill meant first dibs.

I ain't mad at all about that.

•••

"Samira should be coming down shortly! Y'all help y'allselves to food. There's plenty of it." My mom shouted above the music.

I sat next to Reese as we had about two plates each. My mom and Auntie went in on the side dishes. Mac and cheese, corn on the cob, seafood and pasta salad, baked beans, tossed salad, potato salad..you name it.

"I swear your mom be blessing, mm." I shook my head in his direction watching him suck the barbecue sauce from his wings.

"I told her eating is all your ass good for. Still after all these years. You prove me right every time."