IV - one's own decision and choice

"Wait!" He half-yelled urgently. Illiyah turned around just in time to see Eka block the figure rushing towards her.

Illiyah looked at him quizzically. Eka who was on alert asserted her presence to the man. "Eka." Illiyah called out softly. Eka who understood her master's intent obediently moved behind her. However, her vigilance did not drop in the least.

"Yes, is something the matter?" Illiyah asked him politely.

The man, more precisely the boy, scratched his head. "I-I was the one who bumped into you. I d-didn't apologize."

"Edel! You don't need to apologize to her." One of the three women behind him stepped closer and hugged his arm. Like him, she had reddish hair with a slight violet tinge. Her eyes closely resembled the colour of an amber crystal. High rosy cheekbones, a slightly upturned nose, doe like eyes, pinkish lips.

A beauty, indeed. Just that, the glare the woman gave Illiyah diminished the initial good impression Illiyah had on her beauty.

"Priyanka," The boy called Edel sighed. "It was partly my fault. I should also apologize since I bumped into her."

He, then, looked at Illiyah. "I apologize for not being attentive and suddenly bumping into you, Ms..."

"Illiyah," Illiyah introduced herself. She continued saying, already predicting that he would also introduce himself. "I know who you are. Edelaide Leithe, son of the witches' Matriarch."

Oh, Illiyah knew more than his name. Illiyah also knew the fact that he was the only male witch born in almost two decades. The witches run a matriarchal tribal society. Picture out Wakanda but with 3 major factions.

The first faction are witches who use curses and black magic usually in the form of incantations. The second faction are the mildest type who are healers and use white magic. The last one are called rune witches. The first two are the type of witches that use incantations or chants for their magic but rune witches are different. They use markings, symbols, or drawings to invoke their magic.

The witches like the werewolves have a council but the difference is the presence of a Chieftain called the Matriarch. The 3 major factions have one representative and can present their opinions regarding matters brought up in the council but ultimately, it is the Matriarch who makes the final decisions. The position of the Matriarch isn't passed down through blood like in aristocracy but the position is given to the 'destined/fated' witch regardless of which faction she comes from.

The witches allow concubinage due to the disparity in numbers between the male and females. They have a ratio of 1:1000 of male to female. Because of this, the witches were in dire straits and have been trying to increase their population. The solution they found was allowing the men to have multiple wives.

"Oh," he says as he curiously looks at Illiyah. "That's a very pretty name. What does it mean?"

"Yahweh is God. It's a variation of Elijah." Illiyah answered good-naturedly.

Edel, who still wanted to say something, was stopped short when the girl named Priyanka tugged at him again. She whined, her voice small and coquettish. "You've already apologized, Edel. Let's go. I'm tired and I want to rest."

The two girls behind him also looked at him pleadingly. Illiyah guessed that the three girls were his partners or maybe even wives.

Edel flashed Illiyah a small smile before letting himself be dragged away by his women.

Eka was stifling her anger as she glared at the women's backs. "Those women were glaring at you, master!"

Illiyah found Eka amusing. "It's okay. They are young and they get jealous easily especially if their man is suddenly talking to another female. It's natural to be possessive of the things or people one considers one's own."