The Day I Messed Up

Chapter 13

The Day I Messed Up

So.

7 minutes,

3 knives,

1 screwdriver,

6 ice cubes,

2 shoes,

And 1 cat later:

I think that I have achieved Step 1.

The bikes once flawless black coat is now scratched and dented, both tires are deflated and there are shoes and ice cubes in the engine.

But do you want to know the best bit?

I moved it outside to make it look like someone else did it!

He will never guess it was-

"Scarlett!?"

-me...

Oh parsnips.

I spin around and try to look shocked.

"Look! I was coming downstairs when I heard some shouting and clanging and do you know what I saw! The cat! Pulling the motor bike out of the garage and uh destroying it!" I look pointedly at the kitten. "Bad kitty!"

Liam looks at me, bewildered.

"You are an awful liar. You know that right?"

I nod defeatedly.

Liam shakes his head and walks over to the bike.

"Why did you destroy the bike, Scarlett?" He asks, removing the shoes from the engine.

"I-"

"I'm dead." He laughs coldly and I step back.

"It's not that ba-" I shuffle from foot to foot; guilt tearing up my insides.

Before I can finish there is a knock at the door and Liam looks at me, eyes wide.

"Hide the bike!" He yells, running for the door.

I close the garage and look for some tarp or a blanket, hastily covering the ruined bike.

At least he can't die now right?

Right?

Oh who am I kidding.

A small, skinny teenager with a mop if ginger hair rushes in and scans the garage, his eyes stopping at the tarp.

Liam is behind him, looking at me and shaking his head.

I look down as ginger boy walks to the tarp.

"Is this it? Is it finished?" He grins and grabs the corner of the tarp.

Aww fudge. Step 1 has failed.

It's not even Liam's bike, is it?

This would be when my ghostly powers could come in handy.

Fix the bike.

Fix the bike.

Fix the bike.

Fix the-

"What is this!?" He exclaims and I can't open my eyes.

"Uh... Isn't it what you asked for?' Liam asks nervously and I open one eye.

Oh.

My.

God.

The bike is red.

And shiny.

And flawless.

Do I have ghostly powers?

A grin makes it's way to my face and I begin to dance around the garage, singing loudly.

"I have ghostly powers! I have ghostly powers! I have ghostly-"

"I wanted a black bike! Why did you get a red one!" The boy exclaims and I stop dancing.

"It's all I could find and you wanted it for today so.... Red is better than black anyway." Liam says, rubbing the back of his neck.

The ginger boy runs his hands over the bike and nods.

"It will have to do. How much?"

Liam exhales in relief and crosses his arms. "£1590 I think."

Ginger boy grins and holds his hand out.

"Deal."

They shake hands and then ginger boy pulls out a wad of notes as big as my fist.

"Pleasure doing business with you." He says before opening the garage and clambering onto the bike.

Liam flicks through the notes, counting and nods.

"See you next week Ben."

Ben nods and starts up the engine before racing out of the garage and into the street.

"How did you fix the bike!?" Liam exclaims, closing the garage and walking into the kitchen.

I jump onto the counter and cross my legs, grinning.

"I'm just that awesome."