09 | seungmin

"let's start from the beginning. nice to meet you, i'm kim seungmin," seungmin smiled.

"and i'm park minjoo," i returned his smile. "by the way, i never found out how old you all are. i just assumed you were my age."

"i'm eighteen. so is hyunjin and jisung. chaeyoung noona is nineteen, dahyun noona is twenty, and chan hyung is twenty-one."

"ah... so you are the same age as me," i nodded.

i racked through my brain to come up with a decent question to ask.

"so... what school do you go to?" i thought that was good enough.

"i go to hanjong high school. you?"

"cheongdam high school."

"oh, i know where that is," seungmin said.

"really?"

"yeah, my parents took me there once when we were deciding where to move to," seungmin explained.

"i see."

an awkward silence filled the air, while i stared at my feet and he looked out the window.

"hey, look," seungmin pointed out the window.

i turned to look at what he was pointing at. it was the sun, peeking out from behind the mountains. the sky was coated in a warm glow of orange-ish yellow light.

"wah, it's beautiful," i commented, watching the sun slowly rise further up into the sky.

i watched as seungmin took out his phone and snapped a few photos of the scenery. he seemed like he was putting a lot of thought into each photo.

"you're a good photographer," i said as he swiped through the pictures he just took.

"thanks," he chuckled. "photography is one of my hobbies."

i nodded in acknowledgement. i looked out the window again, but immediately squinted my eyes as the glare was too strong.

seungmin seemed to notice and placed his arm on the window, creating a shadow over my face.

"thanks," i said.

"no problem," seungmin leaned his head on his arm against the window.

i checked the time on my phone. we still had about thirty minutes until the bus was going to make a stop.

"what do you do during long bus rides like this? other than sleeping," seungmin asked.

"i... listen to music," i answered.

"really? me too. what kind of music do you listen to?"

"a lot of different types, i guess it depends on my mood," i said.

"ah. do you know shawn mendes?" seungmin asked. i was surprised because he said the canadian singer's name with a perfect pronounciation.

"yeah, i do. his music is good."

"oh and he's canadian, and we're headed to canada today!" seungmin pointed out.

"right. also, that was a really good prounciation of his name," i complimented. "you seem to be good at english."

"aha, thanks. i learned english in la when i was younger," seungmin said.

"oh really?" i spoke in english, earning a laugh from seungmin. "i lived in america for nine years."

"oh really?" seungmin imitated me, laughing afterwards.

it was funny how seungmin and i were talking like we've been friends for years, when we only just met yesterday. maybe we were destined to meet...? ah, what am i thinking?

☆☆☆

thoughout the rest of the bus ride, i got to know more about seungmin and vice versa. i was so proud of my anti-social self for making a new friend in such a short amount of time. i guess it just comes naturally when you're stuck next to the same person for three hours.

we stopped halfway at a rest area for a break. i got off the bus and took the time to stretch out my body that had been sitting in the same position for quite a while.

since somi was still sleeping inside the bus, i chatted with seungmin. i assumed the other boys were also asleep as i didn't see them around.

"hey look, the scenery's really nice here," seungmin said, indicating the mountains with his hand.

"...we're literally in the middle of nowhere," i commented.

seungmin shrugged, taking out his phone to snap a picture. i watched him although i was unable to understand what he found so interesting about the mountains. i turned my head in the direction his camera was pointed at. it was just like any other mountain with brownish green bushes here and there.

i snapped my head back when i heard seungmin smirk. "hey!"

his phone camera was facing me.

"yah, give me that!" i reached for his phone, but he raised his arm to prevent me from snatching it away.

"why, you don't like having your own personal photographer?" seungmin teased, laughing.

"at least let me see the picture."

"gotta get back on the bus," seungmin ran off towards the vehicle.

"yah! kim seungmin!" i shouted, running after him.

☆☆☆

as we approached the u.s. - canada border, more buildings were in sight and i could see glimpses of the niagara falls.

somi was finally awake and very awake - she was a little too excited about being back in her birth country. the boys in the back of the bus were getting chattier too.

all of us had to go through a short check-in at the border, and finally we were in canada.

"welcome to canada, everyone!" mr. yoon spoke. "it is currrently ten thirty. as for today's schedule, we will be shortly going on the hornblower cruise, having lunch, and then free time."

someone wooted from behind me, most likely jisung.

"dinner is any place of your choice. i recommend walking over to the clifton hill, there are a lot of food shops and tourist attractions too."

i made a mental note to visit the place mr. yoon recommended. food and tourist attractions? sounds like paradise.

"oh! and, make sure to return to the hotel lobby at nine o'clock. i will have a special mission to give you all," mr. yoon said. "now, we will be boarding the hornblower cruise into the waterfalls!"

yo wassup guys i finally updated this story after an eternity!!1!1! but this chapter really sucks, sorry for disappointing yall. thanks for supporting this trash story!! ily all 💙