◽ Twenty Six

▬

A heavy silence followed Caspian's revelation. Occasionally, someone would open their mouth a little, words dancing on the tip of their tongue before losing the courage to go through with it. Right now, the pit in Roma's stomach had intensified even with Abel suddenly choosing to kick like crazy. She didn't want to believe it was true, that Caspian was perhaps exaggerating to scare her but deep down, she knew this wasn't the case. Her parents were capable of that and would no doubt do the same to her.

"Caspian... I..." She began after what felt like an eternity but trailed off. An apology would feel insincere yet everything else felt irrelevant.

He arched an eyebrow at her, "Yes?"

Luckily, she was saved from responding by a knock on the door. For a moment, there was the question of who it was but this was quickly answered mainly thanks to Antonia's voice having the uncanny ability to travel. She sounded frustrated, speaking rather more quickly than usual but for some reason, this didn't make Roma's stomach twist and knot in the slightest.

"I take it that's your friends you left in York," Caspian remarked casually. 

"What if it's not ... Fran, get in the cupboard -  " May began, standing up quickly before Roma rose too, holding out a hand to let her know she could handle it. 

"It's them," Roma assured her, "I'd recognise those voices anywhere. Sit down you two, it's alright. I'll get the door."

Thankfully, neither looked angry as such when she let them in. Both looked a little annoyed and disappointed but there was no hint of fury on their faces, more irritation that she'd left when things were actually going well for once. Tonks was forcibly female again but looked distinctly uncomfortable having not heard the revelation that would ensured May would be accepting.

"I'm glad you got back safe," She said meekly. Antonia said nothing for a moment, merely walking in as Tonks followed, "Sorry about leaving you - "

"Don't be," Antonia cut in, walking a few steps before looking back over her shoulder for effect, "It's not us that you should be sorry about. We had train tickets and each other - "

"Plus 20/20 vision that let us play a really good game of Eye Spy."

"Good game? ... it was passably average - "

"Spoken like every loser ever," Tonks scoffed with a playful eye roll for good measure.

Roma couldn't help but giggle. Still, there was no hint of amusement on Antonia's face as she continued, " - but it's you - "

"ROMA, IS IT YOUR FRIENDS OR MUM AND DAD IN POLYJUICE POTION?"

Both Tonks and Antonia jumped at the voice although recognition only flickered on the face of one. During his time at Hogwarts, Roma had rarely interacted with Caspian compared to the others so she was surprised to see Antonia realise it was him so fast, "Is that ... is that..."