◽ Thirty One

▬

After all the bloody build up, Clarissa's story ended up being somewhat anti-climatic. What Todd had done to her was pretty bad, messing her around for several months before asking out her best friend out of the blue (an offer that was thankfully declined) but it was nothing too out of the ordinary. Other things however did stick out to Tonks, namely Eris Wiley and Antonia's reaction to it.

"Well, that was a rather boring hour," Antonia remarked the moment the two girls were out of earshot of Clarissa, "I can't believe she said at the end ..." Her voice became high in a crude imitiation of her classmate, "This was sooooo muuuuuch fun! Oh Merlin's Beard, it felt good to get that off my chest - we ought to do it again! - Ha! As if I would ever go back by choice again. "

Tonks snickered a little as the impression was amusingly accurate but couldn't help be distracted by Antonia's unusually rigid posture and slightly glazed eyes - there was clearly a lot going on.

"Ha, yeah ... why exactly did we go in the first place?" She asked, "You didn't actually tell me, I don't think. You just asked me to and I said yes - probably should get better at asking about these things in the future."

"I didn't tell you?" Antonia thought about this for a second before looking blankly forward, "Weird."

"So ... you gonna tell me or what?"

"Um ... it's complex but just know it was a ... success, I think."

"You think?" Tonks nudged her, an action she immediately overthought horribly, "Antonia de Galletario doesn't think ... she knows."

"That she does..." Antonia smiled, tucking a curl behind her ear which Tonks found ridiculously adorable for some reason, "And I know it was a success. Todd is scum ... and that's perfect."

"Perfect for what?" 

Judging by her odd behaviour, Antonia wasn't really in the mood for questions, remaining silent for a second. Then she unexpectedly came to a stop and Tonks hastily followed suit, turning rapidly on her heel with both brows furrowed. What happened next came as such a shock to Tonks she wasn't even sure what had quite happened even years from then. Antonia seemed to rush forward, her hands grabbing Tonks shoulders in a somewhat mad dash before reaching up and planting a kiss on her cheek.

Tonks stood there gobsmacked as Antonia quickly stepped back, regaining her composure and tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear that had fallen lose. Tonks wasn't an awkward person by any means and had perfectly mastered the art of speaking usually. Yet in that moment, with 171,476 words at her disposal, the only one she could think of for some reason was a softly muttered, "Crickey..." which was quite possibly the worst thing anyone had said ever.