Chapter 2

Nearly the entirety of the royal advisors were packed in Benji's room. Langia had taken him straight to their parents, where they had taken him to his room while they figured out what to do. Langia sat on a stool next to where Benji layed in his bed. Langia had been excused of all her lessons for the day. Benji dozed fitfully in his bed. His room looked similar to hers, but Langia's was more ornate and didn't have toys strewn all over the floor.

The advisors argued in hushed voices as they went over what to do. Langia's parents were also there, surrounded by their closest advisors. The queen was tall and regal in her gold robes, her silver hair was piled on top of her head in a fancy twist. The king wore the same royal robes as well as his crown. He kept running a hand through his short, white, hair.

  "There have been more reports of people in the city getting sick." One advisor said. "All report the same symptoms, too."

The king and queen of Luminia looked anxious. The king kept his hand on his sword at his waist as he paced beside the bed. The queen stood beside her husband, wringing her hands, and her crown was slightly lopsided. "But who would do this?" The queen asked.

"No one in the entire kingdom would have the right magic to do this." Another advisor pointed out. Silence greeted this statement as people pondered this.

For a while no one spoke, until someone did. It was Sergio, Langia's tutor and magic instructor. He was a short man with pale blue hair, and one of the most powerful mages in the kingdom (with the exception of the royal family, of course). "But what if there is." He said.

"That's impossible!" Someone shouted. "Everyone is a light mage. Everyone."

Sergio moved to stand closer to the bed. He was a close friend and advisor to the royal family. "But there is one person. And I think we all know who it is, Your Majesties."

The king looked at Sergio. The two had been friends for a very long time, and the king trusted Sergio deeply. "Sergio," He said. "I know who you're talking about, but that's just a fairy tale."

From where she sat by the bed, Langia barely listened to the argument. She held Benji's hand as he slept. If she wanted, she could have her own say in the argument, but she didn't. After all, she had no idea which fairy tale they were talking about.

Sergio was still speaking to the group. "We know it's a fairy tale. But, it's been around for quite a long time, and it had to stem from somewhere."

"It stemmed from mothers frightening their children!" An advisor said, as they stepped in front.

Sergio chose to ignore this comment. "Think about it, who else could possibly be doing this?" No one answered, which was exactly what he expected. "Maybe this is less fairy tale, and more legend?" He said quietly.

"Okay, let's say, that this is real. How would we get to this Dark Warlock? Legend has it, that he lives in a dark castle, and there seems to be a likely chance that whoever we send will die. Also, everyone is scared to death of that place, even the bravest warriors wouldn't go." Someone said.

Instantly, Langia knew which fairy tale they were talking about. It was the legend of The Dark Warlock, one of the kingdom's most popular tales. Everyone knew this tale. Langia started thinking to herself as the advisors suggested candidates to make the trip. After a few minutes of this debate, Langia made a desicion.

"I'll go."

Everyone seemed to erupt at once.

"No way!"

"Absolutely not!"

"You can't!"

The only one who didn't start screaming, was Sergio. "SHUT IT!" He yelled. "You'll wake the prince!" Everyone seemed to remember why they were here, and all quit talking. Now that he mentioned it, Langia did notice that Benji was stirring in his sleep.

Langia's parents were the first to respond. "We can't let you." Her mother said. "It's just too dangerous."

"Mom, Dad." She began. "I'm seventeen now, I'm going to be queen before you even know it. And I'm going to need to know what it's like to be in danger."

"But this is simply too dangerous, Gia." The queen hesitated and ordered the advisors out so the royal family could just talk.

"Hold on," The king said, as the advisors were disappearing through the door. They stopped in their tracks and turned to face him. "Sergio, Can you stay?"

Sergio smiled at him. "Of course, Your Majesty." He took a step out of the door as the other advisors left.

"Now, Langia. You have to understand that we just can't let you go." Her mother was saying.

"But, I'm powerful enough to do this." Langia protested. "I'm a high level mage, and one of the most powerful in the kingdom, if I'm correct." She looked at Sergio for confirmation, who only nodded.

"We know you could handle yourself." Her father said. "But so can someone else who would be better to go. You could die, and we just can't take that risk."

"Why do you want to go so badly?" Sergio asked.

Langia looked at where Benji layed in bed. "If someone else would go, they wouldn't fully understand the reasons why the mission is so important." Langia said. "It's directly effecting one of my family members. And I want to help Benji. Besides, I've gone on missions before."

"Those missions were not to a cursed forest where you could get killed." Her mother pointed out.

Langia sighed and looked down at the bed. Well, at least I tried. She thought.

"Why don't you go to your room while we talk about this?" Her father said.

"Okay." Langia muttered. The stool scraped against the floor as she stood up.

Langia layed on her bed while she waited for her parents to finish "talking about it". She stared at the ceiling of her room and thought about who would go in her place. Probably a knight from their kingdom's army or someone like that. She couldn't think of anyone in particular.

After what had seemed like an eternity, the door to her room opened and her parents stepped in. Langia sat up on her bed, waiting for a response. She watched as her parents exchanged a glance. Then her mother spoke.

"Rest up today. Because, tomorrow you leave."