Chapter 5

Langia couldn't see much of the stranger, because their back was turned to her. But what she could see was a long black cloak that trailed on the ground, and medium length black hair. And the stranger wore black gloves as they rested their hands against the empty windowsill. She knew instantly who this person was. It was the Dark Warlock.

Langia hesitated, not sure what to say. What would she say to this man now that she had found him? But, she didn't need to because he was the one who spoke first.

"Who are you?" The voice was not one she would have expected. It was not cold or menacing, it was calm and quiet. He spoke in a low tone that did not show his emotions.

"I am Princess Langia of the kingdom of Luminia." She said with as much authority as she could muster.

The warlock paused before speaking again. "Okay, and what are you doing here?"

"I was sent to find you." Langia said, keeping her voice even.

"Well, you found me. Congratulations. Now go back to wherever you came from." He said in the same tone.

All of the tales had left out mentioning that the Dark Warlock had an attitude. "I was sent to find you and bring you back to my kingdom." Langia said, tension creeping into her voice.

The warlock stiffened and his hands gripped the windowsill tighter. "Nice try, but that's not going to work."

"Why wouldn't it work?"

"It...just won't."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Langia asked.

The warlock didn't answer.

"Why won't it work?" Langia repeated, as if she would get a response by asking the same question twice. Once again, she got no answer.

"Well, This castle doesn't seem like it would be that hard to get you out of." Langia said, her temper rising just a bit. "It wasn't hard to find, and I barely had to try to get past your guard." It was only then that Langia realized the beast was no longer in the room.

Suddenly, the warlock spun to stand right in front of her. Langia found herself looking to a suprisingly young face, a face that had bright purple eyes that stared straight into hers. Up this close, Langia saw that he was skinny and only a few inches taller than her. It looked like he couldn't be more than a year older than her. Something about that didn't add up. Aside from his long black cloak, the warlock wore a plain woolen shirt and leggings, as well as tall black leather boots. He had a sword hanging from his belt. Langia wondered whether or not he could use it. Ordinarily, Langia probably would have found him handsome, but right now her temper was taking control.

"How dare you insult my castle and my servant!" He growled at her. "Be glad I'm letting you leave, and not sending you out myself!" And with that he pushed past her and went down the spiral staircase.

Langia hurried after him. It was hard because he was taking the stairs two at a time, and he obviously knew this castle better than she did. By the time she got out of the staircase he was standing in the middle of the center room with the doors.

"Mino!" He yelled.

Langia wasn't sure what this word meant ,or whether this was some spell. Suddenly she heard the sound of hoofbeats and saw the beast come out of a hallway. The warlock moved right up to it. "Mino, I'm going to need you to lead this girl off the premises. Make sure she doesn't come back."

Langia realized that "Mino" was the beast's name. "You named that thing?!"

The warlock turned to glare at Langia, and Mino let out a offended grunt. "For the second time, I must tell you not to insult my servant." The warlock said. He glanced at Mino. "Now, please, Get her out of here."

Mino made a step toward Langia. "Oh no." She said to the warlock. "I'm not leaving unless you are."

He gave her a tired look. "No, you're not."

Not this again! Langia scowled. "Why is it so important that you don't leave?!" She demanded.

The warlock took a deep breath and glanced at Mino. It looked like the two of them knew something she didn't. Then the warlock shrugged. "Fine. Have it your way. I'll go with you."

Langia allowed herself a grin. It had almost seemed too easy. Mino went to open the doors by tapping his ax against the ground. The massive doors swung open, letting in some dull gray light. Aside from Langia's gold lights, it was the only light in the castle.

Langia glanced once at the warlock, then walked out, leaving him to follow. When she didn't hear footsteps behind her, she turned to see him standing just inside the doorway. "For goodness sake!" She walked right up to the doorway. "Are you coming or not?!"

He shrugged. Langia rolled her eyes and grabbed his hand. She pulled him out of the door. Suddenly, his arm was ripped from her grip as there was the sound of a loud bang. She was tossed back to land on the dirt of the courtyard. She looked to the warlock who was also picking himself off the floor, inside the castle.

"What was that for?!" Langia asked him, striding into the castle.

"I didn't do anything!" He protested.

"Yeah, right!" Langia spat back.

"Seriously, I didn't!" He said. He hesitated for a second and took an angry breath. "Look," He said. "The reason why I can't leave with you is because I, seriously, cannot leave this castle."

"What?" Langia said.

"If you don't believe me, just watch this." He walked right up to the doorway and leaned against what appeared to be empty space. It was as if there was invisible barrier there. Suddenly, he was shot across the room as the barrier emitted another bang. He got up from the ground and muttered curses to himself.

Mino rushed over to him to make sure he was alright. "I'm fine, Mino." He said holding up a hand as he stood up.

Wanting to believe it for herself, Langia went to the barrier. She waved her hand through the doorway where the barrier should be. There was nothing.

"I'm the only one the barrier keeps in." He explained. "Anyone else can come and go freely, even Mino. This castle seems to have something against me. It has a mind of it's own, I swear."

Something to came to Langia's mind. "Are you sure you didn't just put this here so you wouldn't have to come with me?"

"Of course not, why would I try to trap myself in my own castle?"

Langia continued to study the barrier.

"Anyways, now that you know, you can go back to whoever sent you and tell them that whatever they're planning isn't going to work." He said eyeing her.

Langia finished studying the barrier, and turned to look at him. "Oh, I'm not leaving."