IV. i'm calling mayday

Chasing The Sun
chapter four: i'm calling mayday
A/N: Okay seriously I need to update Monster Me.

I feel like each chapter in here for a while is going to focus in on one character and then I'll be able to go onto the cannon plotline because I want to establish your/the MC's relationships with everyone.

---

You had, naturally, been informed of the incident at Enies Lobby. The day you received the news, you had been enjoying a drink of tea with Kuzan when he suddenly decided to tell you he'd briefly visited a wanted criminal, Nico Robin.

He had told you briefly and vaguely of his connection with her, knowing you wouldn't tell, which you didn't, so you weren't horribly surprised to hear it, but you were surprised to hear that it was the Straw Hats who completely trashed Enies Lobby. They were making a larger commotion than you had anticipated, perhaps you should really start paying attention to them, not to mention they certainly had guts to declare war against the World Government. The lengths these kinds of people will go to for their friends.

The admiral had given you a strange but knowing look when you laughed before you took a sip of your steaming hot tea, not seeming to even take notice of its high heat. You were strange like that. Well, the more strange you were, the more he reminded himself he was glad you relied on him as a superior most rather than Sakazuki or Borsalino (better known as Akainu and Kizaru, respectively); those two would be horrible influences on you.

He was somewhat of an older brother figure, but he honestly felt like it should be called a father-and-son relationship when taking the age difference into consideration. A whole twenty years, and yet you called him "Big Brother," rather than Uncle or something. That title, though, he soon realized, was not one he should take lightly.

The day you called him that for the first time was a declaration of some sort - from then on you visited him more often, brought him things you thought he might like from villages and towns you'd passed through. You checked up on him often, called him frequently over Transponder Snail - he quickly realized that bearing that title meant you had decided to make him an important element in your life. Something he was thankful for, actually - with that carefree attitude of yours and too-kind mindset, someone was going to take advantage of you eventually, but with him there that was less likely to happen. He'd grown protective of you.

In return, he called you "Little Brother," something that seemed to absolutely delight you. You'd grinned so widely when you heard him refer to you like that, and he decided he'd use it from now on. That smile fit your face so well, he wanted to preserve it and shelter it. It was pure and untainted, yet there was a saddened edge to it that intrigued him.

But there was certainly something he noticed.

"Little Brother, you don't have to fake your happiness all the time," came his lazy voice, the same as always. You placed down your cup of tea and leaned your cheek into your palm.

"Yeah, I know," Kuzan raised a brow, not expecting such a response. "But I feel like being happy all the time is better than looking around and just being reminded of things you don't want to remember."

"Fair enough," he shrugged, drinking the last of the tea in his cup. You appreciated that he never pressed for information - most of the time, anyways. If he did, it was probably because you snuck one of his scarves out of his room again and wore it for the day. He always forgave you in the end, but you had to give it back or he'd be seriously upset.

"Has Mister Sengoku ever mentioned any sort of promotion?" you asked, and Kuzan thought for a moment.

"Yes, but he only mentioned it. I'm not sure if he's actually going to promote you, but I'll preach for you if it comes up," he promised with that straight face of his. You smiled softly in thanks, and he accepted it with an equal lack of words. A silent conversation that any onlooker would be confused about if they hadn't known how close you were.