August 2018 - Interview with Tristam James

Hey, this is Jinn Tiole (jinnis) from adultfiction and I'd like to guide you through our August interview

Let's board a classic yacht together, set sail and leave the coast and our daily toils behind for a while. While the helmsman steers a steady course through the estuary, I meet Tristam James (tristam_james) at the rail of the foredeck for a chat.

JT: Hello Tris, thank you so much to take the time for this interview. How are you?

TJ: I'm fine, thanks. Trying to stay cool in this unusually hot weather!

JT: Well, let's enjoy summer as long as it lasts! Let's talk about your story Thames. You claim it's part of your Shipping Forecast series on Wattpad. What are they about?

TJ: Well, first, I ought to explain to anyone who doesn't come from the UK what the Shipping Forecast is. For many years, the Shipping Forecast, a weather information service for mariners, has been broadcast on Radio and by the Coastguard every day. In order to know which area the forecast is relevant for, the waters around the UK were split up into areas and each area given a unique name based on towns, sandbanks, islands and landmarks. They have names like Cromarty, Bailey, Hebrides and Fastnet. The Shipping Forecast is loved by many as much for its romanticism as for its practical value, and many listen to the late night forecast before going to bed as they find it strangely relaxing.

I had the idea for writing a story set in each of the Shipping Forecast areas some years ago. I enjoy writing about the sea as it has such a rich history shot through with adventure and intense human tragedy. There is a saying that 'worse things happen at sea', and I took that as the underlying challenge for each story.

JT: Sounds intriguing. And, did you succeed or is this an ongoing project?

TJ: Definitely an ongoing project! I've published 5 stories so far, and have a couple more in draft form waiting to be edited and progressed. That leaves around 23 more to do. It may take some time... Actually, I think I probably need to try to keep the short stories shorter if I'm to finish it anytime soon! I intend to use each story as a means of trying out different styles and genres.

JT: Are you willing to share a bit more about your writing background?

TJ: I've harboured a desire to write for many years, but never acted on it until I discovered Wattpad. I'm what you might call a 'picky' reader and I often find myself struggling to find books I enjoy. I also found myself thinking 'could I write something as good as I'm reading?' It was an attractive thought, but it wasn't until I found Wattpad that I acted on it, as until then it just seemed pointless writing just for myself. Having somewhere to share my writing was the trigger I needed to actually start, which I did in 2012. I've since found it one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. My only wish is that I had more time to write; but work and family take priority!