Empty Home

Start Song: Strawberries & Cigarettes-Troye Sivan

Stiles didn't have much to unpack.

He stuck to the same five outfits practically every week and the only valuables he ever clung to was a framed family portrait, his Polaroid camera, and a switchblade his dad had given to him on his thirteenth birthday.

He had cleared out all his dads things and donated them to shelters. He felt maybe he was being cold and heartless, but he didn't want to hold on to his grievance.

But one thing he couldn't give up was his fathers old watch. It was silver with gold ridges. He had worn it everyday. Stiles felt it was the one thing that his dad could ever rely on. Stiles felt like he had failed as a son.

"I should have been here..." Stiles whispered, sitting on the edge of his father's bed clutching the watch.

His body shook lightly as sobs racked his chest. He hadn't cried in so long, it almost felt foreign to him.

The bedroom door creaked open causing Stiles to jolt up with a gasp.

A tall, built man with deep green eyes and spiked raven hair stood in the doorway, his expression apologetic and concerned.

"Sorry. I didn't recognize the jeep out front, so I thought to investigate and--"

"It's okay." Stiles excused as he wiped his face.

"Are you the realtor?" Stiles sniffled.

The tall stranger was silent for a moment as if he was in some other world.

"No. I was a friend of your father."

"A friend with a key?" Stiles questioned suspiciously.

"We met in AA about a year ago. He gave me a key incase I ever needed a place to stay."

"I didn't know my dad had attended meetings still." Stiles expressed, not meaning to speak aloud about it.

"He was surrounded by good people. He missed you though."

"I doubt that." Stiles murmured lowly.

"Stiles, right?" The stranger questioned.

"Yeah." Stiles answered.

"Your father talked about you all the time. Unless you're another Stiles, then I can confirm that Noah never went a second without his son on his mind."

"Well I'm too late, so..." Stiles stood up, grabbing his jacket off the bed post.

"Leaving already?"

"Well if I want to afford the mortgage of this place I kinda need a job." Stiles told shortly, walking passed which caused them to bump shoulders.

"Wait--" He reached out and grabbed Stiles' wrist, causing Stiles to wince.

"Don't touch me." Stiles snapped, wripping his arm away and taking a step back.

"Sorry... I was just wanting to offer you a job at my bar. We're looking for a new bartender... If your interested." The stranger offered cautiously, glancing at Stiles rubbing his wrist over his sleeve.

"You're a recovering alcoholic that works at a bar?" Stiles asked, giving the stranger-- that only became just as strange the more time passed-- a disbelieving look.

"Recovered actually. And I also manage the place, so I'm required to be sober if anything needs handling or fixing."

"Well I don't need you to fix me if that's what you're thinking. Don't use that AA bullshit on me." Stiles told sharply, going down the stairs with the persistent stranger following.

"I'm just trying to help someone who is obviously in a bad time in their life... Making friends might even help. It's just a suggestion." He shrugged.

"Who are you?" Stiles finally asked, nearly ready to explode.

"Derek Hale."

"Well, Derek Hale, I'm sorry to ruin your fantasy of us being pin pals but I'm not interested. Now if you will excuse me." Stiles opened the door.

"He told me to watch over you." Derek spoke up causing Stiles to freeze.

"What?" Stiles asked as he turned around, his voice quiet.

"The night of his passing... I was there. He asked me to look out for you. He knew you'd be like this. He didn't want you to be alone anymore. He wants you to be happy Stiles." Derek explained, his voice soft.

Tears pricked at Stiles' eyes, his eyes burning. He blinked a few times to urge them back as he breathed in shakily.

"I'm a grown adult. I can take care of myself." Stiles said tightly before continuing out to his jeep.

And to where he didn't know, but he couldn't stand Derek Hale being right one more second.

This chapter has been sitting here for a HOT minute. I don't know if or when I'll update. I just hated this being unpublished. Bye.

[Media: Derek Hale]