Chapter 1

Dress Above.

"Just one moment!" I yell back at the person knocking on my door from the outside.

I slide my hands down my long dress and admire my strawberry blonde hair that's cascading down my back in a pin straight style, the front being slicked back as if I'm one of those models posing on the front of a Vogue magazine.

I clasp my diamond bracelet onto my wrist as I turn towards the door, swinging it open.

I smile at the maid standing before me.

"Your father wants to know if you're about ready?" She questions with a small smile.

"Yes Marissa, I'm coming." I say as I shut my door quietly behind me.

She nods before turning and disappearing down the hall.

I sigh as I step down onto the first step, making my way down the grand staircase to the immaculate party taking place downstairs in the ball room.

My heels clack against the marveled floor as I walk through the lingering crowd and towards the open doors of the ballroom.

People greet me as I walk by them, I smile in response, giving them a polite wave.

My eyes scan over the hundred plus people huddled in the ballroom as I look for my father.

"Harmony." I hear a deep voice half shout from beside me.

I turn my head, finding my dad standing with some guest on the far left.

He gives me a huge grin as people part to make way for me to walk to him.

"Père." (Father) I greet him with a smile.

He gently grabs my forearms, admiring me.

"Ma jolie fille." (My beautiful daughter) he says, kissing my cheek.

I roll my eyes playfully at his comment.

He turns to the older couple he was once talking to.

"Excuse me Mr. and Mrs. Robins it was nice catching up. I hope everything goes well for your daughter in Harvard." He says politely.

They smile back at him, saying their goodbyes before turning away.

He turns back to me, shoving his hands in the pockets of his black slacks.

"They're always the talkative ones."

I let out a small chuckle, "They are the older ones, they carry more experience."

He shakes his head with a small smile at my comment.

"I have someone I want you to meet." He says as he grabs my elbow gently and guides me through the crowd.

He stops at a younger couple that look to be about the same age as my father.

The lady with her brown hair pinned up in a neat hairdo turns towards us as my dad says her name, I'm assuming.

"Mr. Maynard. What a delight to see you again." She says, giving my dad a slight hug.

He smiles at her, "This is my daughter I was telling you about, Harmony." He says, gesturing his hand out to me.

She wears a bright smile as she takes in my appearance.

"Honey." She says lightly, tapping the man standing next to her, "This is Harmony." She says, looking back to me.

He pulls away from the conversation he was having with another couple. "Wow." He starts, admiring my appearance, "The Harmony." He jokes.

I laugh slightly, clasping my hands together in front of me.