2. Sunshines Black

It Ain't As Magical As You Think - Mr. Bagans.

Chaper 2 - Sunshines black

July 12, 2004 - 2:30 p.m.

"They stare me down but I don't stare back. 'Cause where I'm from the sunshines black."

The small town of Esmeralda, Nevada, was a ghost town. No, not the “ghost town” that is run down, and nobody lives there. No, the “Ghost town” where there are more spirits than people. And yet it's true. Esmeralda was old and didn't attract many visitors. But, since the Goldfield Hotel became famous for people fleeing their rooms in the middle of the night – there has been more people flocking in to stay like flys on cow manure.

Facinating enough, I work at the Goldfield hotel – and, lets just say, not the best place to work. You'll get calls in the middle of the night from a room nobody's staying in. You'll have flowers on the tables move to the other side of the room without any explanation. The old piano play, and it doesn't work. You'll have people check in - or ring the check in bell, but nobody's there. It freaks alot of people out, but not me, I'm used to it. I'll talk to the ghosts or spirits, and 'give them' their room. And give them one of the old keys instead of the new cards. And they'd leave me alone. I've came to notice that it keeps them away from me, and more importantly It keeps me away from them.

One warm summer morning in July - I was working a double shift, Hey, I'm 23 years old. You need to get money for college somehow. We had people sitting in the lobby reading or on their laptops. I was standing at the lobby desk, looking over complaints.

'I feel like somebody's watching me.' One noted.

'You should get those doors fixed - they open by theirselfs,' another one complained.

Oh, Please. It's nothing to be worried about at all. It's just the spirits. If you talk to them or play along with what they are doing, suprisingly enough - they listen to you.

Hell, a couple named the Chajkouskeys were doing a E.V.P. (Electronic Voice Phononem) and the ghosts said, "Riley,... Jean... Ashmore." My name. It wasn't suprising. probably because when you great people at the desk I have to say, 'Hi, I'm Riley Jean-Ashmore. Welcome to the Goldfield hotel!' People were telling me I should quit. No, way! I need this money, and plus, I really didn't mind the spirits.

The bell that hung on the front door that signaled somebody walked in jingled out. I stood up and walked to the front of the desk as 2 men walked in the front door. One was short wearing a white T-shirt and jeans, his black hair - that looked like it had too much gell in it, stuck up like a thumbs-up. The other was wearing a blue T-shirt and jeans. Brown hair closely shaven like a buzz cut from prision. They were carrying suitcases and the Brown haired one was equipped with a handheld camera the newer version.

"Hello!" I greeted happily, slapping a happy smile on my face as they reached the front desk, "I'm Riley Jean-Ashmore! Welcome to the Goldfield hotel!" The boys sat down their suitcases, as if they were in a hurry, and the man with the camera pointed the lense towards me.

"Hi!" The black haired man smiled at me broadly, leaning against the desk, "I'm Zachary Bagans. I called about a room earlier." I nodded and pulled out my clipboard. I ran my finger down the list and found his name.

"Yup. Right here. If you'll just sign, We'll get your money when you leave." I smiled at him. I handed him the clipboard and he hurried and signed his name down. "Aren't you the boys who are doing a ghost hunt or somethin' around here?" Zachary looked over his shoulder at the other man and smiled.

"Yeah! Thats Nick, were partners, and we are doing a paranormal investigation at this location." Zachary smiled at me. I nodded thoughtfully.

"Sounds good. Experiences are common here." I replied to him taking the clipboard back from him and putting it on the shelf under me while I typed in the room he was going to be stay in to our computer database. "Do you need 1 or 2 rooms?" I asked while figuring out what rooms were open.

Zachary looked over his shoulder at Nick, who held up two fingers and kept rolling.

"2." Zachary replied looking back at me. I nodded typing it into the computer and surfed for 2 open rooms next to eachother. We were pretty booked this weekend. "Anyways, have you had any experiences?" I nodded smoothly.

"Quite often actually. I've had them say my full name. No biggie." I replied pulling out two room cards from the cabint. Zachary gasped and twirled his finger around in the air, I guessed that that meant he should keep filming.

"What? That's so cool! That's actually scary! I've only seen a apperation! You mind if we interview you later for our documentary?" Zachary asked, nearly jumping in excitement. I nodded, a small smile on my face.

"Sure.” I replied, “ Anyways, here's your room cards. Nick's room is 54 and Zachary yours is 65. I'm sorry couldn't find some right next to each other. It's pretty booked tonight. It's right down the hall from each other though. Do you need any help finding your rooms?" I asked. ending it in a friendly smile. Zachary shook his head.

"No, Ma'm. I think we can find it ourselves.” Zachary smiled back at me taking the cards from me. He then pulled his bags off the floor and into his hands. "What floor is it on again?”

"Take the elevator up to the 5th floor. Turn to your left. It should be a few rooms down." I replied, "It's okay. I'd rather you ask questions then look like idoits." Zachary smiled sofrly.

"Thank you again." Zachary replied. "Man, This place is magical ain't it?" He whispered looking around at the tall beams disappearing into the ceiling and the sparkly glass chandilers hanging from the ceiling. I smiled at him casually and replied.

"It isn't as Magical As You think, Mr. Bagans." I smirked before letting him on his way.