Lies

What did he want? I mean- Anne and him were on pretty good terms after plenty of arguments, but still.

   "Anne... Anne." he panted as he jogged his way to the girls. Oh good. Now what? Gilbert opened his mouth to say something but he didn't know what. So he tried his best to make up something on the spot because Anne was looking at him as if he had seven heads. "um- uh-... Hey."

  Seriously that's the best you can do? He asked himself. God, you're supposed to be the flirt. You're supposed to be smooth. Why am I so nervous around Anne? She's just a friend. Right? All these thoughts flew through his mind while he scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "How'd you do on the homework last night?"

   "Fine... Why?" Anne raised an eyebrow confused to what was going on. She could see Diana Smirking from the corner of her eye. That made her mad. Really mad. There was nothing romantical between her and Gilbert. Nothing at all. Right?

  "Yeah, I had some trouble with it." He lied. He was the smartest BOY in that class. How could he have trouble with the simple math homework? That was the sacrifice he took just to talk to Anne... even considering how competitive she was.

"y-you did?" Anne was shocked. Was she finally beating him? She tried to hide the smile on her face and be polite. "well, it's just long di-" she stopped herself. She was having trouble in long division too. But could you really blame her? She spent most of her life in that dreadful orphanage.

"yeah..." Gilbert studied Anne's expressions. It looked like she was trying not to laugh. How embarrassing. It was starting to awkward. Why did he say that? Out of all the things he could say to Anne, his friend- he chose to lie about his homework.

  Diana caught on pretty quickly and saw what Gilbert was doing. But why? Did Gilbert like her? No way. Then why was he stuttering? Diana looked at the 'couple' and softly started to chuckle. She got what was going on.

  Anne and Gilbert both looked her way with confused faces. She quickly covered her mouth and stopped.

"anyway..." Gilbert looked around.

"anyway..." Anne repeated quietly.

"Can I walk you ladies to school?" he asked politely, being the charming gentleman he was.

Diana opened her mouth to say something but Anne interrupted her. "We don't need your assistance. We are more than capable of walking to the school by ourselves." She turned around, grabbed Diana's arm and made her way to the school.

Once again, Gilbert jogged to catch up with the girls. "Well then... can I walk with you?" he rephrased his sentence and gave off a charming side smile.

Anne rolled her eyes, clearly annoyed. But whatever right? He's just another friend, right? Why did Anne have to keep telling herself that? "Alright then." she shrugged.

The three of them finally arrived at the schoolhouse. "oh no." Anne mumbled.

Gilbert looked down at her with a concerned expression. "W-whats the matter?"

    Josie Pye was standing at the top of the steps at the school entrance with her arms crossed. She glared intensely at the three of them.  Anne gulped and said nothing, she didn't want to get her self in more drama.

   Gilbert followed Anne's gaze and saw what was going on. He licked his bottom lip and started walking towards Josie. He was probably going to tell her off. But someone pulled his arm and stopped him. It was Anne.

"Are you crazy?" She whispered and brought him to her side.

"What? No- It's just Josie." He shrugged. "I don't see the problem."

"You need to learn to mind your own business sometimes." Anne scoffed as the three of them walked into the school together. Anne kept her head low to avoid any sort of drama.

"Well, well, well. What is Gilbert Blythe doing walking you to school?" Josie's eyes were fixed on the redhead.

  Gilbert clenched his jaw, trying not to speak up. Anne told him to mind his own business, so he kept quiet.

  "He was walking with us," Diana explained politely.

   "How would Ruby feel about that?" Josie smirked.

   "Ru-" Gilbert stopped himself. What did Ruby have to do with all of this?

  "Oh, you don't know?" She smiled devilishly.

  "Know what?" Gilbert asked with his eyebrows furrowed. He was completely Oblivious.

   "Nothing!" Anne interrupted, she wanted to keep her friend's secret. And Josie was being extremely rude. "Come on Diana." Anne pulled her to their seats.

   Josie snickered but stopped when she got a glare from Gilbert. She went back to her seat quietly while he looked at Anne for a second. As he walked back to his own seat he asked himself, did Ruby have a crush on him? Yeah, she was nice and all, but not his type.

  "Alright Class. Quiet Down." Ms. Stacy interrupted his thoughts.