Chapter Thirteen [Tanner]

Things were looking up. He felt good about his future with Azrael. Yeah, they'd have crap to work through, but he believed they'd be better for it. He'd quickly stopped at the house and picked up her comfiest pajamas and a shirt for himself to go under the terribly itchy cardigan. With her bag packed, he carried on towards the restaurant. He was just a few blocks from the it when his phone started ringing, not Azrael's ringtone, so he wedged his bluetooth in his ear and hit answer.

"Tanner Kelly speaking."

"Mr. Kelly, I have good news!" Roland, or Rex, or whatever that guy's name was from early that morning. "They've accepted your offer."

Tanner flexed his hands on the wheel and straightened up in his seat. A cautious grin spread across his lips. "That is good news."

"I have an inspector that I know and trust, and she's ready to go. Unless you'd prefer to hire your own."

"I trust yours." Really, he didn't care. Robert-Ray-Richard had been in the business long enough.

"Perfect. If you can meet me to sign her contracts in the morning, I can send her in tomorrow afternoon and we can really get this show on the road."

"Actually, I'm near your office. If you're still there I can stop by in about half an hour to sign them and she can go in tomorrow morning."

"Even better. See you soon."

Tanner hung up and tried to maintain composure, but it hardly lasted long. An excited cheer burst from his lips and he drummed on his steering wheel. It felt like a thousand pounds had been lifted from his shoulders with just that phone call. Nerves settled in as he turned into the restaurant's parking lot and he realized... he'd have to tell Azrael. To be fair, she was avoiding going home just as much as he was. He still maintained that in a way they were two new people now so he reasoned new people, new lives, and a new house to go with it.

There was still time. An acceptance of his offer did not finalize the purchase. If she was really against it, he'd back out and learn how to sleep in the house they'd tried to kill each other in. He did hope she liked it though, if only because the house itself was beautiful with a view to match.

Inside the restaurant, Tanner waited for his order that wasn't quite done, checking emails and playing his daily crossword. Completely blocking out the world around him. Until a heavy hand landed on his shoulder.

"You're Dr. Kelly's husband, right?" Dr. Katzmann was handsome, square jaw and strong nose with his hair greying at the temples. In another life Tanner might have even taken an interest in him. As it was, however, the only thing he was interested in was punching Alan in the face.

Tanner restrained himself, as tempting as the thought was, and shrugged the hand off his shoulder. "She prefers to go by Mrs. Kelly outside of professional settings." He'd tried to convince her to keep doctor in front of her name for day-to-day, but she had her reasons.

"Well, I prefer to call her by a title higher than merely being your wife." Alan Katzmann smiled down at Tanner, standing much too close for comfort. A few inches taller though not quite as built, Alan made sure to do his damn best to tower over Tanner every chance he got. Some weird dominance thing, he assumed. "How's she doing today?"

"Not great right now, but hopefully on the mend soon. Were you just leaving?"

"I was."

Tanner gestured at the door. "Then leave."

Alan pushed closer into Tanner's space, his lip curling up in a snarl. Yeah buddy, I can growl too. He shoved Tanner's shoulder with two fingers. "You better be treating her right."

"Or what? You'll beat me up in the lobby of this restaurant?" Tanner didn't shove him back, as much as he wanted to. Only squared his shoulders and jutted out his chin. "I treat my wife with the love and respect she deserves, and I resent your accusations."

"I didn't accuse you of anything."

"Oh, but didn't you?" Tanner glared up at him and felt his gums itch to drop his fangs. Not here. He wouldn't do that here. After a moment of thick silence, Tanner tore himself away and took a couple steps back. "Go home, Alan." He tensed his jaw when Alan shoved passed him and intentionally knocked his shoulder, throwing him off balance. His nostrils flared and he tightened his fists at his sides. Don't fight.

"My girl better be in tip-top shape when I see her again," Alan said, leaning against the open door.

Tanner only offered a tight smile that didn't reach his eyes. "Do try to leave my wife out of your fantasies tonight, won't you?"

Alan looked like he was about to lunge when a server approached them.

"Is there a problem here?" Her eyes stayed glued to Alan like she, a foot smaller than him and half his weight, could take him down if he made a move. Tanner had no idea what he'd done, or hadn't done, to make himself look like the innocent one in the situation but he wasn't about to complain. Alan didn't reply, only glared and left.

"Thank you for that." Tanner felt the tension leave his shoulders. "He's a piece of work."

"No kidding. He was trying to tell my coworker how to do her job, like he has half a clue." She smiled at him and they both rolled their eyes. "Anyway, your food's ready."

"And so is that tip I promised you." Tanner winked and her eyes lit up. He paid and texted Azrael that he'd be back shortly, just needed to make a stop first. As he slid into the driver's seat, he decided not to tell her about his run-in with Alan. That would just upset her right now. Maybe he'd tell her another time when things were a bit more steady. Instead, he tried to figure out how he was going to tell her about the house that was nearly in his possession.