A Morning on Fersek

A loud horn sounds alarm in the dark of the night. Screams can be heard from outside the small wooden cottage. A young girl leaps off of her wooden bed.

"Kari stay out of trouble! Ragnar needs you in the armory!" A large burly woman growls before grabbing her ax and slamming the door behind her.

My name is Kari, I know, terrifying, My parents believed naming me after a God would give me strength, but they didn't want to displease the strong gods by naming me after them.

Kari grabs her fur vest and tosses it on grabbing a pair of bolas before opening the door. Shouts and screams of the towns folk fill the air as fire lights up the night sky.

This is Fersek, seven days south of Hopeless and a few degrees north of freezing to death. Located directly on the crest of catastrophe. We have been here for nine generations, but every single building is new.

Kari slips between build to building avoiding run away sheep, cattle, and young vikings.

We have fishing, farming, beautiful sun rises, the only problem are the pets. Most places have rats or knats. We have dragons.

Kari freezes as fire blocks her path for a few moments before she continues to the armory in the dark.

Most people would leave, but nooo not us. WERE VIKINGS. We have stubbornness issues.

"Good Morning Kari!" A Huge bald viking with a black beard neatly braided yells as he passes by before raising his sword and running down the hill towards a huge flaming black and red monstrous nightmare.

"..Morning Grimbeard." Kari says softly after he had passed before slipping into another old shack with a line going basically to the bottom of the hill with disgruntled vikings waiting for new weapons. "Good morning Ragnar!" KAri calls out overly cheerful but still frowning as she grabs an apron and heads towards the forge.

"Ahhh ya made it here without getting eaten...pity." Ragnar growls as he picks up an ax that was knocked to the floor with his one good hand and gives it to the viking waiting at the window, "Here ya go Sif," She quickly grabs it and races into the frey.

"Nah, those dragons wouldn't bother with me...I'm to muscle-y for them" Kari yells back pretending to flex her muscles despite not having many.

"Aye, they might like you fer a toothpick." Ragnar retorts taking a broken bent sword from the next customer and setting it in the pile of broken weapons and hands him a newly made ax.

Kari pulls the sword out of the forge and sets in the water to cool it before bringing it to the sharpener. Gazing out the window at the fight going on below.

Young vikings start by helping their families do chores like chopping wood, or working in the fields. I'm stuck polishing weapons. Ragnar here has been watching me since I could crawl. The other kids my age have much cooler jobs. They put out the fires the dragons set. A stout but strong looking girl with blond hair pulled back into a pony with braids runs off towards a fire with a water bucket. That's Heidi a brown haired boy is seen fighting over a bucket from a brown haired girl who look identical to each other, those two are Kirsten and Fenrir thick as thieves but not related their mom's were twins. A tall black haired skinny boy taking a large pick ax against ice that had blocked a door, he is Magni another boy three times the size of migal with dark brown hair pulled back into a messy braided ponytail holds a torch to the ice to help it melt, Thats Ervar. Another black haired teen races town the hill tossing a spear, That older girl, her name is Sitheach (She-aughth) She is the coolest and that, a red haired girl with a braided crown is seen walking back to the well, is Eiduun. They get to be part of the action while i'm stuck here.

"KARI! Quit yer dreaming and hold down the forge, They need me out there!" Ragnar yells as he switches out his hook'd hand for an ax.

Kari nods and quickly moves to bring the sword to the next person. Once ragnar is out of sight, "Sorry we are umm closed!" She blurts out and jumps up pulling the sliding door down and angry yells can be heard outside. "Nows my chance!" killing a dragon is everything around here. A Windgnasher head is enough to get me noticed, Gronckles are tough, enough to get anyone to notice you, Hideous zippleback, exotic two heads twice the status, Shivertooths extrinsic, sharp all around, taking down one of those would get me a girlfriend. The woolly howl is smart only the best vikings go after em, And then there's the monstrous nightmare, who has a nasty habit of setting themselves on fire. But I don't care for them.

Kari grabbed more bolas and races out into the crowd towards a shed on the edge of town flinging open the doors, "The ultimate prize is the dragon no one's seen before." she wheels a giant bola launcher out of the shake and into place, "No one has seen it before."

"NIGHT FURY!" someone screams as a huge precise blast destroys a catapult.

She starts to load the bolas into the launcher "This thing never steals food, never shows itself, and never..I mean never misses. No one has killed a night fury that's why I'm gonna be the first." Kari whispers as she aims the launcher. Kari glares into the dark sky waiting for anything to be seen, a loud shrill sound is heard as the night fury ready it's blast. "Come on...Come on...show yourself something..." Another catapult goes down and more screams are heard below. "Damn...one more chance please." KAri waits holding her breath as she hears the sound again and see's a small flash of purple, she aims and fires. A loud cry is heard as she watched the shadow fall from the sky, "YES yes YES!!! I hit it!! ANYONE! Please did anyone see that!" She shouts looking around. Her ecstatic look dropping as a Pink and orange Monstrous nightmare bares its teeth at Kari, "Not you.." She whispers before turning on her heel and racing back towards the city.