Strawberry

I waved goodbye to Minty and I waited for Grace outside the school gates. What on earth was taking her this long? After waiting for 20 minutes I decided to call but I didn't need to. She was running to reach me and I waited.
"Oh Rose! Sorry I'm late. I had a detention with stupid Miss Prez after school for not doing my bloody homework!" Grace yelled. Let me just remind you that Rose is my middle name and people who I'm close to call me that.

I just rolled my eyes and we continued walking. She deserved the detention. After all, she never bothers to study or do her homework. I cover up for why she's late to Harry and Lilly every time even though someday I'd love to see their precious princess get into trouble. She is my sister though and she would've done the same for me. I love Grace a lot. The popular kids at my school aren't very smart. I hope I'm not offensive to Grace or anything but she is one of the popular kids and she isn't too bright. That's why Grace always tells me I'm Harry's favourite. I guess I've always known that because even though I look different I'm very honest and I have a good personality. Grace is Lilly's favourite though but I don't like Lilly. Lilly tried to convince Harry that they didn't need to adopt a child but Harry, being the bigger person, ignored her and decided to adopt me. Of course at that time I had pretty blonde hair and big green eyes so of course I was in demand.

All I was thinking about right now was Minty. I didn't realise that I was smiling to myself. Like a crazy person. "Um hello? Earth to crazy person? Why are you smiling like a creep?" I suddenly snapped out of my state when I heard Grace' s voice. "I've never seen you smile like that before. To be honest it's actually kind of scary seeing you daydreaming like that?" She said.
"Grace...I think I have a....friend." The words came out of me finally. I was hesitating to say the word. Friend...
"OMG! Wait what? Breaking news: Strawberry Rose Green has a friend." She teased me. Both of us started laughing.

"So...what does this friend of yours look like?" She asked.
"She has black thin hair up to her waist and she has blue eyes but sometimes they look more grey. She has very pale skin so she probably doesn't go into the sun often. She has a clear face with no spots and she's shorter than me. Around 5 ft 4, like 160 cm. She's lucky because she isn't 5 ft 8 like me." I replied.
"Woah. I didn't need ALL the details. So, what's her name then?"
"Minty Landstone." I replied.
"Oh but the green uniform! That's so sad. So you both have something in common. Weird names. At least her name isn't Strawberry Rose Green!" She laughed. At least she doesn't look like Christmas. When I got home I told Harry the news. Me, Harry and Grace all started celebrating and it was the best. I loved it when it was just the three of us. Then of course, Lilly had to open the door and tell all of us to be quiet. Party pooper much!

Sometimes I ask Harry why he married someone like Lilly but he always tells me it's because he loves her. How could you love someone that controlling? At least she's organised.

When we sat at the dinner table and started to eat, I began thinking about Minty again. I bet she wouldn't be celebrating just because she had found a new best friend. I could be just one of her many other best friends from before. What if I'm not special to her? I started to feel a little pathetic for celebrating that I had a best friend for the first time. Everyone has a best friend and it's normal to have one, or a friend who's close to you. One of the reasons I didn't want a new friend was because I've heard that friends fight. I hate they have fights and arguments but they come back together again which is weird. Who am I kidding? I'm the weird one. The weird one who celebrates for actually finding a friend. What if she doesn't want to be friends with a weird person? What if she just said those things to me because she wants me to help improve her grades? That's the thing with people. You can never tell what they're thinking. They hide their opinions and they avoid showing expressions on their face. The world we live in is like this.

If mum was here she would understand. Whenever I feel like crying she'd hug me and tell me everything was alright. It isn't like that though. I have Lilly. Stuck up Lilly who doesn't even kiss her daughter goodnight. Not me, Grace. She wouldn't even kiss her biological daughter goodnight. Violet is my Mum, not Lilly even though she's legally my Mum. I have 4 parents. One of which I don't know who looks like or what his name is. I'm happy with my life and we have a fixed house unlike poor Minty. I wouldn't like getting attached to a place and then having to move but I would love to see different places though.

Harry saw the worried expression on my face because I was deep in thought.
"What's up my little berry?" Harry asked. I felt like a little kid all over again every time he called me that and I love it. "Nothing Harry. Just homework, that's all." I replied. Harry suddenly looked serious and I had never seen him like that. He was going to speak to me. "Rose, can I talk to you alone?" He asked. I nodded and we left the dining room together.
"Rose, I want to ask you something and it's been running in my mind for years..."
"What?" I asked impatiently because I didn't want my food to turn cold.
"Rose... why don't you start calling me Dad and Lilly as Mum?" He asked me. I didn't know how to answer. I had to think of my answer and how to put it. Unfortunately my thoughts came out in the open. Why...?
"I love you Harry. You know I do but if I call you Dad then I'd have to call Lilly Mum and I don't want to. Violet is my Mum." I replied. We awkwardly returned to the dinning room and just laughed and talked as if our conversation before had never happened. I wouldn't mind calling Harry as Dad. He deserves it but it would be unfair not to call Lilly as my Mum though. Harry wasn't the only one who thought about that, I did too and I honestly just feel comfortable calling them Harry and Lilly.

I went to my bedroom and I slept. Excited to meet Minty again tomorrow.