Chapter 2

"Mom, I saw you fall, I was just wondering if you're ok". Then I saw three men. "What's happening? Who are these men?" I asked. "Hi. I'm Bill Anderson" said one of them. "I'm Harry Bright" said the second one. "Sam Carmichael" said the third one. For some reason I felt something towards Sam. "Hello, I'm Jessica" I said, awkwardly. "Nice to meet you".

"Well, we'd better go to the boat" said Harry. "I think you're right" said Sam. "Great meeting you, Jess" said Bill. "You too" I said. "Sam, can you hold on a sec" said Mom. "Ok" said Sam and stopped. "Great seeing you, Donna" said Bill and Harry. With that they left.

"Donna, what is going on?" Asked Sam. He then looked at me. "How old are you, Jess?" He asked. "I'm 14" I said. "14" said Sam, looking at Mom. "What is going on?" I said. Mom sighed. "Jessie, this is your father" she said. "Sam, meet your daughter". I dropped into a chair. That was conveniently placed where I was standing.

"Oh, my god" I said, quietly. "Donna, I think you have some explaining to do" said Sam. "You said that you were back for good. Said you and that woman had divorced. But then, I find out it was all a lie. I was upset and angry. So I vowed that I was never going to see you again" said Mom.

"Understandable" I muttered. "And I vowed that this baby was going to grow up not knowing who you are" said Mom. "I didn't think you'd come back anyway". "I probably would've come back if I'd have know I had a daughter" said Sam. "Yeah, probably" I said, sarcastically.

"Jessie. What did I tell you about sarcasm" said Mom. "Only use it when it's really necessary" I said. "Good girl" said Mom. "Look, Donna, I am so sorry I lied. But I would've come back" said Sam. I saw tears appear in moms eyes. "And I'm sorry I never told you" said Mom.

"Jessie" said Mom. "Yeah" I said. "I'm so sorry. You asked all the time about your dad and I never said anything. I was just so angry. Could you ever forgive me" said Mom. "Mom, of course I forgive you. In fact, I was never angry" I said. "You're not angry?" Asked Mom.

"No way. You did an amazing job with looking after Sophie on your own. Then I came along and made your life harder" tears were slowly streaming down mom's cheek. The same was happening to me too at that point. "But 14 years later and look at you now. Still sane which is a miracle, and I'm turning out ok. I wouldn't change a thing".

"Oh, Jessie" said Mom, hugging me. I hugged her back. "And besides, I've never minded not having a dad" I turned to Sam. "No offence" I said. "Non taken" said Sam. "How do you talk so grown up for a 14 year old?" Asked Mom. "I get it from you" I said. Mom then looked at Sam. "I have to go" she said and rushed out of the goat house.

Sam turned to me. "How about we get to know each other better" he said. "Wanna come into the boat? Sail around the island? You can show me around". "That sounds awesome" I said. "But I think I should ask Mom. Could you wait here while I do" I said. "Alright. I'll be right here" said Sam. "Thank you. I won't be long" I said and rushed after Mom.