Chapter Three ~ Twin ~

It was assessment and god damn were you struggling to take notes. It's not that you didn't have anything to write down- it was the opposite. Too many thoughts collided in your head to even think of putting them all together coherently for yourself the next time around with Ludwig and Arthur.

You could tell by Ludwig's behavior he wasn't very comfortable with you, something you suspected was because of his embarrassment with his disorder. Many patients experience this type of issue, especially a man such as Ludwig who more than likely wants go put up a "strong man" front. And with Arthur... that man... he turned so blank near the end. It was in all honesty, disturbing and upsetting to see him become hollowed out like that. A classic case of the lights were on but no one was home... it made you feel uneasy about him. Rereading over his file, you noticed that during his episodes he never really attacked anyone, he was just out of it completely. Which made sense but... you were just making sure.

"(Y/n)?" You startled, glancing up at a co-worker you'd met a bit earlier. Thomas, a blonde, freckled man who worked there as another therapist. "Assessment is almost over. Just thought I'd let you know so you've got time to clean up and head out." You sighed, smiling at him and closing Arthur's file. "Thanks."

You shook your head at your ways to always lose track of time and started to grab your notebook, clipboard and patient files. Did you even write down anything of that much importance on your papers? Oh what were you thinking! It was your first real day you can't get that much on your first two patients, don't be so hard on yourself!

Quickly sliding your chair back to your desk, You smoothed our your skirt, made sure your hair didn't look as much of a mess as it did for Ludwig and Arthur, and started down the hall.

You re-read a familiar sad face's profile. Matthew. The man looked tired- and granted that everyone else do too- but he just seemed to radiate it...

Fear of abandonment and being forgotten ... granted you weren't exactly told on what it was that caused him to contract such a severe illness, but you could only assume something (or a series of many things) took place in this man's life to make him this broken.

You inhaled sharply, making sure to put your typical friendly atmosphere on. Quietly, you knocked on Matthew's door, a small warning, before you scanned your card and or the door ajar.

The first thing you took in was how dark the room was. The blinds were closed over the window, letting not a single ounce of light peek through. "Matthew, hi!" You perked up as you caught sight of the very man you'd been thinking of, now sitting up from his bed beneath his covers. His eyes opened wide in confusion and embarrassment as he watched you enter his room, closing the door behind you. "I'm sorry, did I wake you?" Your voice was soft as you gave an equally soft smile. Matthew shuffled quickly out from under his sheets, face pink as cleared his throat. "U-Uhm no! It's fine!" His voice clearly held signs of sleep, the scratchy, throaty quality to it as he started to stand, nervously pushing down his bed hair with his right hand, his left tugging the corner of his shirt down a bit. "Oh, no need to stand!" You said quickly, pulling a chair that was against the wall of his room (stolen from a desk like from all the other patient's rooms) and smiling at him. "Please, it'd make me feel a lot better if you could sit actually."

Matthew inhaled a bit sharply before nodding his head and complying. "I'm sorry if I spooked you a bit." You said with a small laugh before extending your hand out towards the curly blonde. "My name is (Y/n) (L/n). I came here to become your therapist." You watched as Matthew eyed you for a quick second before grabbing your extended hand with his own and giving it one, quick shake. "Hi..." His voice still had hints of embarrassment and sleep in it as he cast his glance from you to the floor. "I'm not going to do too much other than get to know you a little bit, okay?" You said, trying to ease Matthew up. Maybe you'd started off on a bad foot with startling him right out of sleep, but ... you could fix that. Right.