Chater 4.5

9 years ago

"There's something you should know Kamille."

I looked up at Xander from the card game we were playing. My hand stunk, but that was normal. Xander always won when we played cards.

"What is it?" I asked, taken aback by his serious tone. Xander placed his cards down on the coffee table.

"Come here." He motioned for me to come join him on the couch. Confused, I moved from the loveseat and took a place next to him. Once I was seated, as quick as a viper, Xander grabbed me. He pulled my back flush to his chest, one arm wrapped around my waist, the other on my forehead.

I was completely restrained.

"Xander!" I yelped, attempting to struggle away from him. He didn't budge.

"Shhhhh... Relax Kamille. I'm not gonna hurt you," he crooned in my ear. Slowly, I relaxed my tensed muscles.

"I'm not scared Xander. You just startled me. What are you doing?" Xander was warm, and I always appreciated being held. He probably appreciated holding me, although he had never said so.

Xander scooted until his back rested on the couch's armrest, pulling me along with him.

"This is gonna hurt Kamille. Promise you won't freak out?"

At this point I was more than a little apprehensive. What was so bad that Xander had to hold me down? Nonetheless, I nodded in assent.

"They're cutting down some of your trees tomorrow."

I lied. I absolutely freaked out.

"What?!" I screamed, thrashing in his grip. My ears were rushing and the sound of Xander shushing me was filtered through a tiny scope of my consciousness. The rest of my body cried out in agony.

Eventually, I stopped moving and began weeping. Xander turned me over and cuddled me close. I grasped his t-shirt as I bawled. Xander caressed my neck and smoothed a hand down my back. I knew it was normal for people to cut down trees, but that was because they didn't understand what I did.

They couldn't hear the mourning cries of the rest of the forest. They didn't hear the hitching tears of the dead tree wisping in the wind.

But I did.

I heard everything.

And tomorrow I would hear it all again.

Xander didn't say anything else. He just held me close.

When they cut the trees down the next day Xander covered my ears. But it didn't matter. I could feel the loss in my soul.

I heard everything.