Thursday | Toffee

December. 1976. Grimmuld place. 3 years ago

"—DISGRACE TO THE FAMILY AND"

"Can you ever come up with something original mum? Or is there someone out there holding cards for you to read?"

"HOW DARE YOU! TALK TO YOUR MOTHER LIKE THAT YOU UNGRATEFUL—"

Regulus played with the food on his plate. He'd somehow dug the rice out of vegetables, choosing to eat his rice and leave the greens. It didn't matter what he ate really, he was stick thin.

The shouting around him continued. He wasn't sure what Sirius had done this time but it was probably something along the lines of shoving his new found love of muggle culture down their throats.

Nothing new.

He wondered how it would end this time. Would Sirius be dragged out the room, having caused their father to snap? Or would it be his mother who turned the table on him and raised all hell? Perhaps the euphoria from finding that Slughorn had sent Regulus a letter would be enough to make them send Sirius to his room with no other repercussions.

But quick enough the answer to his question was answered when his fathers hand slammed the table and Sirius was dragged out of the room.

Regulus watched as his brother disappeared, not daring to speak until he was out of the room. Taking in a breath he asked, "What happens to Sirius mother?"

He knew the answer. He was not blind to the bruises on Sirius body. But he wanted to here it from his mother's mouth.

His mother smiled at him, a gentle smile that softened her features, "Only what he deserves Reggie. Of course you understand why your father and I have to do this?"

"I understand," he nodded and looked back at his food. He supposed he had to eat his vegetables as to not offend Kreacher.

It was silent for a moment, the only noise coming from the gentle scraps of Regulus' forks on his plate and his mother picking up and setting down her cup.

"Why did you ask Regulus? Is there something bothering you?" She asked suddenly.

"N—no I was just curious that's all," he stuttered. He knew his mother would not yell at him but he also knew only a fool would be comfortable in the presence of Walburga Black.

"Is that so Reggie? There was no there reason?" She pressed.

Regulus licked his lips, the silence giving him comfort and courage that maybe Sirius would not be hurt this time, "It's just that Sirius is...he's badly hurt after,"

Walburga clutched her wine cup tightly, her knuckles white from the strain she was applying onto it, "And you think it had something to do with your father and I?"

"I—I don't...I never said—"

"Even if your father and I would do such a thing what would be the reasoning? Why would I hurt my own son?" Her hand was now shaking, the red wine staining the sheets of the table because of Walburga's trembles.

"T—to punish him? To squash the vermin out of him?" He guessed nervously. He was used to seeing his mother being in control.

"No Regulus," she set down her (cup) with a loud slam, "I do this because I want the best for you and for Sirius even if he is the scum of the earth. I—" she took a breath and looked her son in the eye, "I love my children,"

She pushed her dark hair out of her face and sucked in a deep breath, "I love both of my children," she repeated.

But then the first cry erupted from somewhere above and Walburga shuddered. It was barely visible to the untrained eye but Regulus the miniature ripples in his mother's movement.

"But you mustn't tell anyone why we do this Reggie, do you understand?"

He nodded not wanting to hurt his mother, "I understand,"

A second yell came out and his mother grabbed his hand and squeezed, "I love you very much dear. You know that don't you, you know I would never hurt you,"

"I know mother," he squeezed back ignoring his brother's cries for help.

But later that night he couldn't sleep well. He could hear his brothers groans from the hall, his cries of pain. He knew his mother would never harm them intentionally but he wondered if Sirius understood that.

Regulus sat up in his bed and bit his lip. If was caught on Sirius room down by anything other than lamenting him there would be harsh consequences. But he couldn't just sit and listen to his brother, his flesh and blood, in pain.

"Sirius?" He whispered as he entered the room, "Sirius are you awake?"

The other boy did not move from his bed.

"Sirius I brought you something," His hands reached to his pocket to bring out the toffees he'd brought form his secret stash of sweets

" I wanted to make it up to you,"

There was still no response.

He hesitated, not knowing what to say next to try and get his attention, "Sirius I'm sorry,"

The last phrase shook a reaction out of him, "No you're not,"

Regulus chewed on his lip tasing a coppery substance, "Yes, yes I am. I didn't mean for it to go this far. And I know mum and dad don't either,"

Sirius snorted, "Spare me the lecture on our parents. Don't bullshit me about them caring,"

"They do love you Sirius," Regulus muttered, "They love us both,"

Sirius turned around, his face horrifying Regulus.

"Yes I'm sure they love me very much Regulus," he pointed to his messed up face snarling angrily, "I could tell from every blow,"

"Sirius...I,"

"What you didn't know?" he growled, "Or more accurately you didn't care!"

"That's not true Sirius! I—"

"You want to know what Regulus, there is something you can to make it up to me?" He interrupted, his face blank.

"What Sirius? I'll make it up to you," And he meant it. He could no longer hold the guilt without doing something.

"Leave me alone and don't come back,"

His tone was bitingly cold. It pierced straight through the defenses of flesh and bit Regulus' soul.

"Is that what you want?" He whispered.

"Yes Regulus now please close door on your way out," Sirius said waving his hand.

Regulus took in a breath and turned on his heel.

"Sirius I—"

"I don't want to hear it!"

So all he could do was leave some toffee on the counter like he did when they were younger. Only when they were younger the night would usually end with them eating the candy together.

But when he woke up the next morning to his mothers curses and an envelope stuffed with empty wrappers and an apology he understood that his brother and him wouldn't be doing anything together soon.