Sunday | drooble's best blowing gum

1979. Grimmuld place. 1 months before

"Do you like your food dear,"

Regulus nodded, not bothering the look up. He wasn't eating actually, he hadn't taken a bite since the beginning of the sit down. Kreacher would be offended, his mother would be worried. But he didn't care.

He never gained or lost weight anyway.

"So Regulus, how's work?" His mother made another desperate attempt to talk to him.

Regulus didn't answer instantly. He just stopped playing with his food and looked up at her.

"It's fine," he said.

'Now stop asking' is what he meant.

Thankfully his mother understood the message clearly when she stopped talking.

They sat in silence for a short time. He listened to her pick up her glass, consider drinking and then drink.

She was so frail. She was so incredibly, painfully weak. He wondered, how, how could his mother who had been so indestructible, look this way?

"Can I eat gum," Regulus asked, "It's wizard made. Obviously,"

She looked at him, the way she looked at Sirius when he would say something outrageous, "Okay. You can eat gum,"

He popped it in his mouth. For some reason the coolness would help with his headaches.

"Where's dad?" He asked suddenly. He hadn't seen him in a long time and people disappearing in this age was not a good sign.

"In a hotel somewhere. He's staying there until I let him come back," she smiled victoriously, a viciousness Regulus wasn't familiar with in her tone, "And I'm sure that he won't be back for a while,"

"Oh," Regulus said, "Where's Kreacher then?"

"Cleaning your fathers study. I'm sending his things over to the hotel," she refilled her wine cup.

Regulus took in a breath and slumped into his chair. Everyone around him was fighting. He didn't want that anymore. He didn't want to fight.

"I need to speak to Kreacher mother," he rubbed his forehead. The gum wasn't working this time, "It's for work,"

"I'll send him to your room after he finishes cleaning,"

"Alright then," Regulus said, standing firm his chair, "I'll be in my room if you need me,"

His mother let out a breath and then nodded silently, "Okay dear,"

"Alright I'll see you at dinner?"

She didn't even give him the curtesy it looking at him this time, she just nodded once more and stared ahead.

But he was glad she didn't say anything. He didn't want her to say anything, to do anything. He didn't just wanted silence, peace and silence.

"Regulus," she called as soon as he reached the stair case causing Regulus to silently groan. There was his peace and quiet.

"Yes mother," He said from over his shoulder.

"I love you,"

"I love you too,"

———

One more chapter