02

From that day on, you noticed that Jisung seemed to be trying to attune himself to your disability more. He took ultra detailed notes that he offered to you to copy down, repeated anything Mr. Han had said while you were writing, and seemed to know exactly when to visit your lunch table to help you with a new math concept.

You began to wish that you had him in every one of your classes, an idea you would've gagged at earlier that year. Both Chenle and your mother seemed to have noticed some kind of change in you. Chenle commented on how you only ever told him to fuck off in a friendly way now; your mom said that you finally seemed excited to go to school again. Even Jeno would hold lengthier conversations with you at lunch, showing you the drawings and watercolors he was always working on.

Chenle finally asked something you knew he'd been trying to refrain from, "So... what's new?"

"What do you mean?" You queried, eyebrows furrowed.

"You're not... as— I don't know. You're not how you were a couple weeks ago. You're actually nice."

"Oh, fuck off."

"I'm being serious! Both you and Jisung. He actually called us his friends the other day."

"Really?"

"Yeah, and he's actually like, you know, a human."

"Wow." You offered no more information, eyes scanning the textbook in front of you.

"He sits at your lunch table sometimes, right? Jeno tells me you guys work on math."

"We do."

"And that you guys talk and giggle and laugh and that you haven't snapped Jisung's neck yet."

Looking at Chenle with narrowed eyes, you asked, "So?"

"So, you guys are friends now, right?"

"I guess so."

The boy next to you immediately lit up, voice raising with excitement, "You should totally sit at our lunch table now!"

Thankfully, everybody else was talking too, making Chenle's loudness not too out of place.

"Jisung hasn't invited me to sit there, I don't want to intrude."

"So? I invited you."

"And leaving Jeno alone would be a little rude, we actually talk to each other now."

"Then drag him with you."

"Isn't there a reason he doesn't sit with you guys?"

"He'll live if he doesn't draw during lunch one day."

"Chenle, I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to pass today."

"If Jisung asks you will you come?" He challenged, inciting a roll of your eyes.

"Yeah, sure."

After Mr. Han had finished the instructions for your practice worksheet, you could only remember the very first and very last thing you had to do. As you turned to Jisung sheepishly, you saw that your deskmate was one step ahead of you. He had drawn out a small diagram as the teacher had talked, adding notes of all the little steps in between he knew you'd forget. Without prompting, he started quietly and gently re-explaining it to you, and with the added visual you started to understand what was happening.

"Oh, oh, got it!" You whispered excitedly, immediately going to the first problem on the worksheet.

After five problems, you regrouped with Jisung to review your answers. You had gotten all of the same answers except for one, which you were sure you'd done right.