03

You were stood outside the front door of the school, bouncing on your feet as you waited for Jisung. He did say that he had to talk to his last period teacher before joining you outside, so you just read and reread the shopping list for today. Your friend soon found you, apologizing for keeping you waiting with a sheepish smile.

"It's okay, Jisung. Let's go." With no hesitation, you linked your arm with his to start walking towards the front gate.

"I'm sorry about lunch." He suddenly blurted out, and you looked up at him curiously.

"Why?"

"They were really annoying."

"I went into it knowing how annoying Chenle is, so I figured the others would be similar. But seriously, Jisung, they were really great. I'm glad you've got some great friends."

His face contorted into something between an awkward smile and a pained grimace. "I didn't even call them my friends until a little while ago, even though I've known them for years."

"Chenle had mentioned that. Why?"

"I don't really know, actually. Never saw a reason to, I guess."

"We're friends, right?"

"Of course." He let out a short laugh, rubbing your arm reassuringly as the two of you turned down the street away from the school. "Of course we are. You're like, the first person I really did call my friend."

A relieved glimmer crossed your lips, "Good. I'm honored."

"I'm not trying to be rude, but do you have other friends, besides Chenle and me?"

"Does Jeno count?"

"Sure."

"Then yes, I do."

Jisung's voice changed noticeably, you could practically hear his frown. "That's it?"

"Kim Jungwoo."

"Who's that?"

"Mrs. Kim's TA," You mumbled, looking down at the sidewalk.

"A TA does not count, Y/N."

"Fine, then I'm just a friendless loser, thanks Jisung."

You had meant it to be a sarcastic joke, but instead, it came out as a bitterly biting comment. Your companion immediately backtracked, long arms wrapping around your shoulders as he apologetically hugged you to his chest. "I didn't mean it like that, I'm sorry! I wasn't trying to be an asshole but I was, I'm sorry Y/N! I was more shocked that nobody else here had seen how great you are and you know, befriended you. Because you really are super cool and wonderful and I'm honestly surprised that you're my friend after the super shitty way I treated you just because I didn't understand your auditory processing disorder, and I wish I could knock some sense into them about how great you are but I also don't want to because then you'll meet better people than me and I don't want to share my favorite person in the world."

After his long ramble, you could hear him audibly suck in some air, and you were glad that your face was burrowed into his chest so that he couldn't see your surely pink cheeks and absolutely fucking lovestruck grin. You encircled his torso with your own arms, pulling the both of you even closer together. "Jisung?"

"Y-Yeah?"

"You're my favorite person too."

"Oh."

"Surprised?"

"Don't you have friends from your old school or something?"

"Yeah, lots. But that doesn't mean they're better than you."