3

— — — — — —

— — — — — —

F L A S H B A C K - our last summer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Song: "No Good For Me" by Boys Of Fall.

— — — — — —

After calmly navigating through autumn, passing winters' hibernation, beyond the days of temperamental spring and falling into summer's warm embrace; a season to celebrate for many various reasons. When Summer arrives it's about time for a month and a half break with the end of another school year. Yet this time, the break technically would never be over. Life was about to become a whole lot different with our day to day routines, and heck, I only hoped there'd be more freedom to come of this. And a party or two.

For our graduating class, one of the rich and naturally wealthy - popular girls', Mac, volunteered to throw our party, which meant no expenses would've been spared. Countless hints were being dropped that implied the event would be like all our camps, dance formals and events, all mashed into one and successfully form an outrageously lavish party; one our school and vast majority of students' families alone could never have afforded.

I'd been following any updates about the party as a source of my kind of daily news. Excited for our bittersweet farewell to what we know, a toast to the future and a shot at last chances with those we may never see again.

The majority of us have the same intention to leave this town and never look back.

Whether that even happens, or not.

●◉●◉●

One of the few perks living in such a small town was the short travel time to get to and from places. Unfortunately being on time didn't prevent the usual hold up of getting out sooner.

The dull roar of the engine stopped and the radio switched off too. I didn't have earphones to come to my rescue. Instead, I'm stuck in the car with dad and an equally impatient, Haley. Peering helplessly through the tinted car windows, no matter how busy the surroundings may be, I'd always find him in the crowds.

I couldn't stop myself from smiling at the sight of Lucas.

The way the sun was slowly setting, it's emitting a glow around his swept up dirty blonde hair, his purposeful gaze sorting through the groups of people. The shadows casting from tall buildings favourably outlined his lean and built body, even beneath his loosely buttoned up shirt his muscles were apparent, all thanks to his love of sports, particularly basketball. He didn't have a bad day when it came to his looks, yet his dorkish-ness towards women said otherwise. I couldn't fault him for trying.