Chapter Five

Do You Know The Muffin Man?

The next few days created a routine; my morning coffee came from the coffee shop along with an occasional small breakfast, I munched on crackers though out the rest of the day and finished with half of one of the sandwiches I picked up from the grocery store. I was loosing weight quicker than I ever thought possible, my pants were slipping more each day, and I resorted to holding them up with a belt. Searching for some sort of job in this small town was harder than I thought, all the placed I tried to apply at were completely staffed.

Much to my disappointment I haven't ran into Mason since he walked me home just over a week ago, but I had seen nearly all the other guys I met that night, and talked with Andie and Lucas daily when I was at the coffee shop.

Part of me has grown to like the routine, but my stomach personally didn't like the fact that my money was getting lower each time I checked my account, my nerves causing me to spend less and less on food, especially so since I decided to get my hair styled at the only hair salon in town worth going to, according to Andie, which costed me a good seventy dollars for the lady to cut barely half an inch as she gave me a cute bob cut with it slightly longer around my face.

Running my hands through my wet hair, I massaged my fingers into roots, hoping to sooth away the headache that has been pounding against my skull for the past two days, my stress quickly catching up with me. Letting out a deep breath when the massaging wasn't doing much, I quickly threw on my usual make-up and instead of putting in my contacts, decided to go with my glasses.

With the clock just after seven, like usual, I grabbed my things, including my laptop bag today, and took the short walk down to the coffee shop, shivering slightly as the wind picked up just before I slipped into the shop.

Standing behind the counter seemed an extremely bored and tired Andie, who perked up slightly at the sight of me. Listening to the man in front of me order, just as he finished paying, Andie's mood changed drastically, "Usual?" Andie asked with a smile.

I returned her smile and nodded, "Please," I nodded quickly, my body physically needing the caffeine to get moving today. I could only hope that this headache I was fighting was the result of too little caffeine, that a big ole cup of joe would cure within the hour.

"Perfect, five twenty-two," She recited from memory. Holding out my card, I wanted to cringe at the thought of a mere five dollars going towards my breakfast. Biting into my bottom lip as she stepped away to start making the orders, I caught her glancing up at my curiously, seeming to catch onto my mood this morning, "Spill, whats up?" She spoke out, continuing to work as she looked at my firmly.

Laughing softly, I shrugged, "Just a horrible headache this morning," I admitted, "Hopefully the coffee will help," I spoke hopefully.

Andie nodded, but didn't seem too convinced that, that was the only thing bothering me today. "I hope so too..." She mumbled, handing the man who ordered before me his drink, before moving to mine, "You should come over tonight, we can have a girls night?" She offered, a hopeful look on her face.

I smiled faintly at her words and took a soft breath, "I'll let you know if my headache goes away by later, if not, we can just reschedule if that's fine with you. I'll text you," I promised, grabbing my drink as she finished making it and took a long sip of the caffeine goodness.

Andie's face dropped slightly, before she covered it with a smile. "Yes, of course!" She agreed, "Let me know when you feel better," She smiled.

Taking my coffee to-go today, I found myself out wandering the early morning streets, ending up at the park from my first full day here in town. With all of the benches and tables currently empty this morning, I had the pick of the litter and ended up sitting at a small wooden table facing the pond.