Three

Three

Dylan Waters

I walk in the room, no one is there except Courtney. I close the door behind me. “Hey, Courtney, I don’t know if you could hear me, but I just wanted to say hi…. So hi.” I say, watching her chest slowly rises and falls. I stared at her eyes hoping just for a second that it would pop open. She looked peaceful, no make up and no piercings… she looked older. I place the small bouquet of flowers and place them on the night stand. I sat in the chair next to her bed and looked at her. The wounds were covered up, but the bruises still showed. “Do you want to watch TV?” I asked, ignoring the fact that she probably can’t hear me. I still looked at her. “I already miss you.” I say, then look down at my hands. Desperate for her to speak or move. “Celeste and I are going through a hard time. I don’t know if I like her anymore. I mean, I don’t feel the same as I did a couple of months ago. She’s still beautiful and I still care about her, it’s just… She’s too clingy, you know? I’m only with her because she’s with me. I know it sounds dumb, but if she still can put up with me, then I guess I should at least try to do the same. I know you might think I should end things with her, but it’s hard, Cour. I can’t just cut off 6 months of my life. She means a lot to me.” I sighed and leaned my head into my hands. “We got into it yesterday. She says she’s in love with me, but I don’t know if I do too. I mean it’s been 6 months, shouldn’t I love her?” I look at her. “When I kissed her yesterday, it felt weird. It didn’t even feel like a kiss. It felt like I was kissing nothing.” I touch her hand then realize how close I was to the slices in her arms. I never really got this close to her cuts. I touched it, being the curious boy I am. I ran my fingers down each line. I remember her telling me about every one of them. I hated to see her in so much pain. 15. 15 painful times that she couldn’t take back. I look away, knowing she was self-conscious about them. “TV now?” I ask and turn on the TV.

I flip through the channels, trying to find some show to watch. I got to Big Bang Theory. Cour loves this show. “Look it’s your favorite TV show.” I say then I start explaining the show, just as her mother and father walks in with food. 

“Hey Dylan.” Nancy says, putting down the food and taking off her coat. “How is she?”

“Good, still the same, unfortunately.” I look at heart monitor. 

“Oh…” She said, sadly staring at Cour. She turned away before any emotions could spill out. “I got some food, do you want any?” She sat down and looked at me as she took out the food.

“Oh, no thank you.” I put my hand up, even though I was a little on the hungry side.

“Dylan.” Her father said.

“Yes?”

“Do you and Cour have a relationship?” He glared at me.

“No, no. Just friends. I promise.” I say, a little frightened.

“Good.” He nodded, but still glared at me for a few more seconds. Nancy gave him his food and they sat at the table. 

“Dylan, sweetie.” Nancy said after a few minutes. 

“Yes?”

“Jacob and I need to work, and I was thinking you could visit Courtney everyday… Would you mind? We all know the doctors and nurses won’t call me everyday.” 

“Sure. I won’t mind.”

“Call me or text me.” She said. “Here I’ll give you my number.” She took out a pen and a napkin scribbling her number on there, then handed it to me. “Thank you, so much.” She checked her phone. "Oh gosh, I gotta go to work.” She hugged me and walked over to Cour. “I love you.” She kissed her head and rubbed her cheeks. “Bye.” She kissed Mr. Smith. I gulped. The air suddenly got awkward and thick when she closed the door. I stared at the floor thinking of something to do or say quickly. I opened my mouth, but closed it again.