18. I Love You, You Bloody Idiot!

Chapter 18

I Love You, You Bloody Idiot!

To say the least, I couldn't go to sleep once we got back to the hotel.  How would I when so much was going through my head?  The guys were conked out, though.  I could hear their snores from my room. 

Sighing, I threw off my covers and headed for the door.  I walked to the living room, intending on going the balcony since it had a better view of the city than mine, but one thing made me stop in my tracks.

Max was lying on his back on the couch.  He had an arm slung over his eyes, the other resting on his bare stomach.  He only had on his pajama pants, which were riding low on his hips.  His chest was moving evenly up and down as he slept.

And all I wanted to do was go curl up beside him and fall asleep.

As quietly as I could, I tiptoed toward the couch and past him.  But right as I did, I heard him shift and then his hand wrap around mine.

"Hey," he said, his voice husky from sleep.  "What are you doing?"

I pulled my hand out of his and turned toward him.  "I'm going out on the balcony because I can't sleep."

"Neither can I," he said, sitting up slowly.

I raised an eyebrow.  "Really?  You looked out to me."

"Well, I wasn't sleeping very well," he said with a grimace.  "I haven't had a good night's sleep in a few days.  Ever since..."

I knew what he was thinking.  I hadn't had a good night's sleep since our fight either. 

"So go back to sleep," I said, and started for the balcony door again. 

"Callie, wait," Max said.  I heard him stand and walk toward me.  My heart started pounding when I could feel him right behind me.  "Can we talk?  Please?"

"We don't have anything to talk about," I said.  I didn't turn around.  Because I knew that if I did, I wouldn't be able to keep myself from just giving in a kissing him.  "The only thing that we possibly do is what happened with Agent Turner and Agent Hudson earlier.  Other than that, nothing comes to mind."

"Are you serious, Callie?"

I spun around, glaring at him.  "Of course, I am.  Why wouldn't I be?"

Fight the urge, Callie.  Come on, you've done it for the past few days.

But that was seriously starting to fall apart. 

Why was I mad at him again?  Oh, right.  He thought that I was acting like a little kid.

"Can we at least talk about what happened?" he asked.  "I want to work on this with you, Callie."

"Oh, okay," I said, narrowing my eyes at him.  "Let's get the two pieces of the map..."

"You know that's not what I meant."

Yeah, I knew.  I just didn't want to bring up the subject.  I didn't want to be hurt by what he had to say. 

"Are we going to keep fighting like this?" he asked.  "Hell, I don't even really know why we are."

"Oh, you don't, do you?" I asked.  I put my finger to my chin, pretending that I had to think about it.  "Well, you basically called me a child.  All because I wanted to know who was following us."

"You know I didn't mean it like that," he said.

"Really?  Then how exactly did you mean it?  You obviously had me fooled then."