1. A-rrival

əˈrīvəl: the act of reaching a place

--------------------

"Lillian, sit still!" Her mother snapped sharply at her for the third time, as she excitedly squirmed on the carriage bench.

She tried her best to follow her mother's directions but found that she just could not help herself. She was eager to finally be out of the house and spend the day with Mama- even if that meant being dunked unceremoniously in the bathtub and dressed formally for the occasion.

Being younger than everyone else in the family, with the exception of her baby sister Ella, meant that she did not get out of the house all that often. It was one too many times for Lilly that she looked on in envy when Lisbeth or the twins went out for the day to play with their friends while she was caged in at home, daydreaming about possible adventures awaiting her.

"Mama, where are we going?" Lilly asked, looking up with gleaming eyes at her mom sitting next to her on the bench. Unconsciously, she began to swing her chubby little legs.

Her mother turned away from the carriage window to look at her and sighed, realising that her daughter's inability to follow directions was rather a hereditary trait, deeply ingrained and seemingly impossible to correct.

"I told you before, Lilly. I received an invitation to visit one of my old friends that I haven't seen in a while. Your sisters are busy with their daily lessons and Papa took the day off to look after Ella. Since you've been wanting to go out, I asked my friend whether I could bring you along and she readily agreed. She has a son about your age and said she wanted you both to meet. But you need to be on your best behaviour. Mama's friend is a Marchioness."

"A marsh highness? What's that?" Lilly frowned. Did Mama's friend rule over a swamp?

"A Marchioness, not a marsh highness. She is a lady in a position of nobility. When you speak to her, always address her as 'Your Ladyship'. I also need you to act like a lady would during formal occasions. Now, how would that be like?"

"Prim and proper, always polite." Lilly recited from verbatim, the words branded in her brain from her mother's frequent lectures.

"Good. And none of your usual antics from home with the servants either. We wouldn't want Her Ladyship to go into shock from meeting you for the first time."

Lilly raised her chin defiantly and sniffed. "I don't know what you're talking about, Mama."

Her mother shot her a look. "Of course you don't. Nonetheless, do not forget what I said- best behaviour."

"Always, Mama." Lilly smiled mischievously in return. She picked up the doll sitting in her lap and began to absent-mindedly swing it around.

Mrs Linton turned away from Lilly and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. It seemed that in addition to disobedience, the penchant for dishonesty was also passed on to her daughter.

--- --- ---

When the carriage halted to a stop at their destination, Lilly awoke with a jolt, realising that she must have drifted off to sleep at some point during the ride.

Her mother opened the carriage door and stepped out, holding the door open for her daughter.

Lilly grabbed her doll that had fallen on the floor sometime while she had slept, and slid out of the carriage. Surprisingly, her feet landed on smoothly polished stone of a courtyard and not on mud as she had expected.