5. O-ppugn

əˈpyo͞on: to call into question the truth or the validity of something

--------------------

Lilly jumped, unprepared for the familiar voice, and reluctantly turned towards its direction.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be back inside enjoying the festivities?" She sullenly questioned, her glower directed at the ground.

"I could ask the same of you. Why did you leave suddenly?" 

She heard footsteps and a pair of polished dress shoes followed by black trousers appeared in the upper periphery of her vision, emerging from behind the grove.

Lilly looked up sharply, seeing her closest friend stare down at her with both confusion and concern in his eyes. Ignoring the pressure welling behind her own, she scowled, feeling even smaller and more defenceless with the considerable height difference between him and herself.

"Well, it's not like it matters, does it? I'm not the 'birthday boy' here. I presume that my presence is not required as much as yours is. Go back to entertain your female guests."

His eyes widened and his brows furrowed even further at her words. She could hardly blame him for his reaction– in fact, she herself felt irritated for her irrational behaviour, increasingly so for being unable to pinpoint its cause.

"What happened, Lilly? Is everything all right?"

He stepped forward, one hand outstretched towards her and she bristled. The notion of being pitied, especially by him out of all people, made her grit her teeth and square her shoulders.

"I'm fine. It's not like you would even care otherwise." She scoffed.

He stiffened. Crossing his arms, his eyes narrowed as they scanned over her.

"And what makes you say that?" He demanded, tilting his head.

"Well, you seemed so occupied with talking to all the other ladies. Since today is your special day, I suppose you enjoy being in the centre of attention. Don't let me ruin your big moment." She herself was unsettled at her bitter tone.

"'Centre of attention'? To what exactly are you referring to?"

"Oh, for crying– do I have to spell out everything for you?! Don't tell me you didn't notice how all the ladies batted their eyelashes and clung to your every action? How Lady Caroline blushed each time you so much as looked in her direction? How Lady Eveline simpered at your words?"

Confounded, his alarmed expression provided more than an adequate answer to her questions.

She continued. "Now you know. You can go back inside and have those females fawn over you. Don't waste your time worrying about me."

"And don't you think you're exaggerating here? They're all well-mannered guests my mother invited and very pleasant to converse with– which is more than what I can say for you right now." He fired back.

Well-mannered, my arse. Lilly mentally cursed as her ribs remembered the way those ladies had treated her.

Wrath coursed through her veins and her hands balled into fists.

"Fine! Like I said, if their company is so much more enjoyable then go away and join them."

"No."

"No?"

"No. Not until you give me an answer and tell me why you're acting like this, why the other ladies bother you so much. What did they ever do to you?"